Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade to OS X El Capitan from OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but every time I try to download it from the Mac App Store it gives a message saying that "this version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer". I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8, 3 GB of RAM and around 400 GB in the HD.

Do you know what I have to do in order to get this update?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2016 7:39 PM

24 replies

Jan 7, 2016 9:25 PM in response to Vanekro

Vanekro wrote:

Thank you Eau.

I checked this, and it has all the general and hardware requirements. But still it doesn't let me update it.

Tthe "general" requirements don't cut it. There is a specific cutoff for Macs that are compatible, and that is by year and type. It doesn't matter if you have a Core 2 Duo, or 2GB of RAM, or a 3.2 GHz processor, or whatever else. It only matters when it was produced.

Nov 8, 2016 3:41 PM in response to smdart

smdart wrote:

I'm having the same problem with a late 2013 iMac.

You cannot install El Capitan on that Mac unless you had previously installed El Capitan on that Mac. Since it is compatible with Sierra, Apple will not allow you to install El Capitan. Once Apple releases a new OS, that is the only one available for you to download.

El Capitan still exists for those who have Macs that either cannot run Sierra or still have Snow Leopard installed. Those are the only Macs that can download that version of El Capitan on the App Store.

If you don't have another Mac that could install that version of El Capitan, your only option is to install Sierra. What problems did you have when you tried to install that?

Nov 9, 2016 10:25 AM in response to Barney-15E

When I try to install Sierra I get the message "El Capitan is currently the only supported version of Mac OS." El Capitan does not show up in the app store. I was able to upgrade to Yosemite through the "Purchased" tab of an account which had already downloaded it. But if Sierra doesn't install and El Capitan and Yosemite don't appear in the App store, how does Apple expect someone to update?

I should note that I do not want to upgrade to Sierra. Some plugins I use with Adobe Illustrator only support OS 10.10 and 10.11.

User uploaded file

Dec 29, 2016 5:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with TWO different iMac's, both are defiantly on the available list to be upgraded (per web article and Apple care)

1) Mid 2009 - 12GB ram, 88GB disk space

2) Late 2013 - 16GB ram, 450GB disk space

I am on Yosemite. I CANNOT goto Sierra due to 3rd party which is a showstopper for me not having drivers yet. El Cap is still supported. Btw I'm upgrading because El Cap is the minimum OS I need to purchase Final Cut Pro.

I have stumped Apple care (not hard to do). They captured data to send to their engineering team, but many days later no word from them yet.

Apple gave me the same link as above to make it show up in the app store. What's odd is while El Cap does show up in the app store now, instead of the button saying "buy" or "download" like most mine says "get" which when I click, I get a popup:

"We could not complete your purchase

This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer"

Since Apple is being less than helpful, can anyone out there offer any solution as to how to upgrade to El Cap. I prefer to stick to Apple downloads only and not bittorents or other non Apple sites (this is for my production mac and can't afford issues down the road.

Thanks

Dec 29, 2016 5:38 AM in response to DeputyDawg

Since Apple is being less than helpful, can anyone out there offer any solution as to how to upgrade to El Cap.

Erase the Macs and use the Snow Leopard install DVD that came with it to install Snow Leopard. Then, upgrade to El Capitan using the El Capitan download you previously tried.

Once the "free" upgrades started, Apple has never left a previous OS available to download after releasing the new one. You must have "purchased" the old OS in order to have access to it after the release of the new OS.

If your Mac is capable of running Sierra, that is the only OS you can install via the Mac App Store unless you have previously purchased one of the others and they appear in your Purchased page. I imagine the script readers at the first level of AppleCare support don't know that it is not possible to do what they were telling you.

Dec 29, 2016 6:30 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney

While most appreciated - that is totally unfeasible for me.

I'm not erasing two macs putting on an old os then doing updates. ALOT of work for both macs.

Again much appreciated.

Let me see what Apple comes back with.

The good news is that the drivers I need to update to Sierra might be out within a month or so.

Btw i'm way past the front line script readers at Apple Care. They are almost always useless. I always go to a "sr advisor" for what thats worth 🙂

Btw why go all the way back to snow leopard (which I believe I have the disks for). I also may have the Mtn Lion and Mavericks install disks. Wait a second key word Disks. Production mac doesn't have DVD player nor do I have an external. The old one does, supposed i could do this on the old one just to get the El Cap download and port it over to production mac??

This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.