Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I password protect my Mail app on my PowerMac?

I want to password protect it so the kids can't just run the mail app and get into my mail....which anyone can do right now. How do I make it ask for a password?

Power Mac G4 MDD,1.25 GHz Single, 2 GB RAM, 80GB HD, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 400 GB RAID, Pioneer DVR-110, (2) 60 GB Ipod Video, 1GB Shuffle

Posted on Nov 20, 2006 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2006 12:28 PM

Hello Jim.

You can't but you can prevent your kids from accessing your mail and all other information/data in your Home folder/directory by creating a separate single user login account for all your kids (without admin privileges) or a separate user login account for each child/family member without admin privileges. Disable automatic login and enable Fast User Switching which makes the process of switching between multiple computer login accounts a fast and easy process.

With automatic login disabled, no one else can access your login account during a computer startup, restart or via Fast User Switching so ALL data in your Home folder/directory will be kept private, separate and protected from anyone else that uses the computer and the same for all other user login accounts. The Home folder/directotry for each user's login account is kept separate and protected from other users.

OS X is designed for multiple users in this way.

Before stepping away from your Mac, simply log off from your account.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/family/
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2006 12:28 PM in response to Jim Stembridge

Hello Jim.

You can't but you can prevent your kids from accessing your mail and all other information/data in your Home folder/directory by creating a separate single user login account for all your kids (without admin privileges) or a separate user login account for each child/family member without admin privileges. Disable automatic login and enable Fast User Switching which makes the process of switching between multiple computer login accounts a fast and easy process.

With automatic login disabled, no one else can access your login account during a computer startup, restart or via Fast User Switching so ALL data in your Home folder/directory will be kept private, separate and protected from anyone else that uses the computer and the same for all other user login accounts. The Home folder/directotry for each user's login account is kept separate and protected from other users.

OS X is designed for multiple users in this way.

Before stepping away from your Mac, simply log off from your account.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/family/

How do I password protect my Mail app on my PowerMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.