Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download full resolution photos from iCloud to IMac?

I am back from vacation where I used my iPhone to shoot above 300 photos. Those photos were uploaded to iCloud during the trip. When I went back, all the photos were already loaded on my iPad on optimized resolution but on my IMac, I just got blank empty squares representing the photos shot. I would like to have those photos in full resolution on the IMAC. What needs to be done? Is there an Instruction Manual?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), IMAC on El Capitan 10.11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 12:29 AM

I have the same question. How to download full resolution fotos ( how to get them full resolution back?) ?

When i follow the instruction and set on "download and keep original" it works for new fotos only, and the old ones are still low resolution

4 replies

Jan 7, 2016 12:17 PM in response to philippefromsèvres

Hi philippefromsèvres,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iCloud Photo Library. If you would like for your iMac to automatically download the full-resolution images from iCloud Photo Library, you would want to make sure that Download Originals has been selected, as noted in this article:

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • On your Mac, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

You need an Internet connection to access an original photo or video that’s stored only in iCloud.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

If you are still having issues seeing your iCloud Photo Library photos, you may also find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Get help using My Photo Stream - Apple Support

Regards

How to download full resolution photos from iCloud to IMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.