Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force trackpad strange loose/clicking noise

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my force touch trackpad on Macbook pro 13'' 2015 model.

Problem is that out of the sudden I've started to hear a strange clicking/touching noise inside (it is 100% technical problem). I have been trying to solve it by pressing hard the whole trackpad (6 fingers pressure). Once I do it, sound is gone but for a few minutes then it comes back and spreads in random places on the pad. Even if you tap on the trackpad you can hear that very thin, semi surface touching sound. Sometimes it randomly disappears and comes back.

Have you ever had such problems and is there a fix? My macbook pro is 4 months old only, bought in UK.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 2:48 AM

I had seemingly the same issue for quite some time. Strange clicking noice like something is trap inside/beneath the trackpad, which goes away after some hard presses, but will come back and haunt me soon enough.

I just tried to use the corners of an A4 paper, which is thin and strong enough, and stick it into the 4 gaps/sides, and then drag along the gaps/sides. Dusts and stuffs (and even one hair) are cleared out, and the click sounds seem to return to normal.

Maybe this helps.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2017 2:48 AM in response to RusUnited94

I had seemingly the same issue for quite some time. Strange clicking noice like something is trap inside/beneath the trackpad, which goes away after some hard presses, but will come back and haunt me soon enough.

I just tried to use the corners of an A4 paper, which is thin and strong enough, and stick it into the 4 gaps/sides, and then drag along the gaps/sides. Dusts and stuffs (and even one hair) are cleared out, and the click sounds seem to return to normal.

Maybe this helps.

May 2, 2017 2:43 PM in response to RusUnited94

Hey all I read all the comments. This was happening to me too. I only did two things and I don't have the issue at all anymore.

1. Use compressed canned air and blow out any particles in any of the ports or holes all the way around the laptop

2. Flip the laptop over and tighten the screws NOT ALOT only hand tight, I used an eye glass screwdriver.

Works great. All the screws were lose and a ton of dust flew out. I have to believe that one or the combination caused the clicking. Good Luck!

Jan 17, 2018 12:50 PM in response to RusUnited94

Not only is the trackpad's haptic feedback not working, I am also hearing these random clicking/tapping sounds emanating from the surface of it. This began occurring after trying to troubleshoot the haptic feedback issue with AppleCare, using ome basic system analysis that concluded there was a physical issue involved. Going to have to take my brand new machine (less than two weeks old) into the Genius Bar for more information.

Jan 24, 2018 4:04 AM in response to RusUnited94

I know .... im late about 1 year but if you have warranty remaining, I would suggest to take it to the Apple Store and have it looked at.

Normally there is a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase and you dont need to buy the product from Apple for it to have warranty ... If you buy it from one of Apple's certified retailers , Apple will give you 2 years warranty regardless

Jul 27, 2016 2:48 PM in response to RusUnited94

I'm having the same problem on my 7 months old MacBook Pro 15" Retina.

The ForceTouch trackpad is starting to feel different. The first tap (or first few taps sometimes) gives a distinct clicking noise and feel, then if i continue pressing the subsequent presses start to sound and feel like a regular ForceTouch tap. If i stop using it even for 1 second then use it again it will give the same noise and feel sequence over again.

This is happening even in Silent Clicking mode.

Force trackpad strange loose/clicking noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.