Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the purpose of apps?

Hello

can anyone explain what the purpose is of apps and why I need them? It seems to be a given that, once you own a tablet/smartphone, you'll need (and want to) download apps, but I don't understand why. For example, I can access BBC IPlayer through the BBC website, so why do I need an IPlayer app? If I want to order something from Amazon, I just order through the website in the same way I do when I'm using my laptop, so I don't see why I need the Amazon app.

Is the 'need' for apps simply unquestioned auto-suggestion on the part of tech manufacturers?

thanks

Thursday

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 7:12 AM

The types of apps you're referring to seem to be apps created by internet sites. They are but one class of apps. As to why you might want to use them, well, often, the regular website doesn't work terribly well on a tablet or phone. The app is optimized for the device. Some websites use technology such as Flash (not as common any more) that won't work at all on an iPad. I like the New York Times app rather than the nytime.com site because the layout makes the print easier to read. I don't have to constantly zoom in and out. But, it's really personal preferences. My favorite streaming music sites, Pandora and RadioParadise don't work from the browser. And, in the case of RadioParadise, the app offers a caching feature that lets me keep listening while I have no data connection.

There are also lots of other sorts of apps: games, productivity apps, cookbooks, stargazing apps. Take a look at what's available in the App Store. You might find some things that interest you. Or not.

There are plenty of people who never add additional apps to their iPads, who just use the included apps. Just as I'm sure that there are people who don't use anything on their computers but the included browser. It's personal preference. I find that I get more enjoyment and use out of my iPad with additional apps but you may not.

Best of luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2016 7:12 AM in response to thursdaysinger

The types of apps you're referring to seem to be apps created by internet sites. They are but one class of apps. As to why you might want to use them, well, often, the regular website doesn't work terribly well on a tablet or phone. The app is optimized for the device. Some websites use technology such as Flash (not as common any more) that won't work at all on an iPad. I like the New York Times app rather than the nytime.com site because the layout makes the print easier to read. I don't have to constantly zoom in and out. But, it's really personal preferences. My favorite streaming music sites, Pandora and RadioParadise don't work from the browser. And, in the case of RadioParadise, the app offers a caching feature that lets me keep listening while I have no data connection.

There are also lots of other sorts of apps: games, productivity apps, cookbooks, stargazing apps. Take a look at what's available in the App Store. You might find some things that interest you. Or not.

There are plenty of people who never add additional apps to their iPads, who just use the included apps. Just as I'm sure that there are people who don't use anything on their computers but the included browser. It's personal preference. I find that I get more enjoyment and use out of my iPad with additional apps but you may not.

Best of luck.

Jan 6, 2016 7:20 AM in response to thursdaysinger

thursdaysinger wrote:

Hello

can anyone explain what the purpose is of apps and why I need them? It seems to be a given that, once you own a tablet/smartphone, you'll need (and want to) download apps, but I don't understand why. For example, I can access BBC IPlayer through the BBC website, so why do I need an IPlayer app? If I want to order something from Amazon, I just order through the website in the same way I do when I'm using my laptop, so I don't see why I need the Amazon app.

Is the 'need' for apps simply unquestioned auto-suggestion on the part of tech manufacturers?

thanks

Thursday

App = Application = Program.

As Ipads and Iphones use the touch screen, and are limited in size, compare the laptop screen to the ipad or iphone screen and see if there is any difference (more or less animation - number of items presented etc.

The application for iphone and/or ipad may also have additional security on them.

Its not auto-suggestion - its them paying to be a bookmark or top site on new macs.

Jan 6, 2016 8:11 AM in response to thursdaysinger

Yet another reason to install apps is that the Apple's built in apps are for the most part very basic. The app store has much better apps for almost all of the built in functions, such as Calendar, Notes, Contacts, Clock, Maps, GPS, etc. Many of the add-on apps are specialized, so you can choose one that best meets your needs. And, of course, there are no built in games. So if you want games you must install them from the App Store.

what is the purpose of apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.