Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does whatsapp need background app refresh ? What kind of common apps actually need/don't need it ?

Am new to iPhone. I use my phone mostly for social media like whatsapp, facebook, youtube. I read all over the web that turning off background app refresh will improve battery life. I am just totally confused turning off for which apps will actually improve battery life, which kind of apps actually need/don't need it.. ?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 8:35 AM

Hi.. I keep my 4g Lte turned on for 24*7 , which results in massive battery drain. The reason for 24*7 is that I am very lazy to go to settings to turn on and off again & again.. A shortcut like in Androids settings , if available, willl be very great.. Now main problem :- Turning off the background refresh for WhatsApp doesn't solve the my problem. The WhatsApp still refreshes in background & I am still able to receive messages :- when the net is turned on & also the background refresh is off for WhatsApp .. WhatsApp still refreshes in background.. Plz help me.. I want messages only when I manually launch wha

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Hi.. I keep my 4g Lte turned on for 24*7 , which results in massive battery drain. The reason for 24*7 is that I am very lazy to go to settings to turn on and off again & again.. A shortcut like in Androids settings , if available, willl be very great.. Now main problem :- Turning off the background refresh for WhatsApp doesn't solve the my problem. The WhatsApp still refreshes in background & I am still able to receive messages :- when the net is turned on & also the background refresh is off for WhatsApp .. WhatsApp still refreshes in background.. Plz help me.. I want messages only when I manually launch wha

Jan 6, 2016 6:32 AM in response to vaikunth1991

Background app refresh permits an app to refresh its contents/data when it is not currently in use. How much turning this off for specific apps actually improved battery performance depends on the app. Turning it off does not make apps unusable, it just means a slight delay when to switch to one in updating its data.

About Multitasking on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Background App Refresh

After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.

If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again.

You might test it by turning off WhatsApp and seeing if you notice a difference. You can always turn it back on.

Does whatsapp need background app refresh ? What kind of common apps actually need/don't need it ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.