Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server host name change

Hi all I am told by Apple support that I need to change my server's name, host name to an actual domain name. I am currently setup on our local network with a .local name. My county guys have no problem setting up a domain name and setting up DNS for the server. My question is if I change the host name how will this affect OD and PM? I have about 150 devices added to PM. Will it have to be recreated or just an update will do the trick? But my thinking is that PM will have to be reconfigured due to DEP am I right? Anyone have experience with this and able to give more information. Thank you.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 7:00 AM

If you change DNS (ie: hostname etc) it will have a major impact on your server in general and Open Directory/Profile Manager in general. Unfortunately an update won't do the trick. Rather than wasting time trying to soften the impact of a DNS change it is better (IMO) to rebuild and recreate from scratch - less problems in the long run. Let there be no mistake, DNS is fundamental to the stability and good working order of OS X in general and OD/PM in particular and using .local for the TLD is a major no no.

If it was me I would export what you can out of OD, bear in mind passwords do not export and get what you can out of PM. Don't be tempted to backup the OD database to restore later on as that won't really work either as there will be hundreds of references to the previous domain the new OD database won't be able to accommodate.

My 2p.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2016 7:00 AM in response to Jarv15

If you change DNS (ie: hostname etc) it will have a major impact on your server in general and Open Directory/Profile Manager in general. Unfortunately an update won't do the trick. Rather than wasting time trying to soften the impact of a DNS change it is better (IMO) to rebuild and recreate from scratch - less problems in the long run. Let there be no mistake, DNS is fundamental to the stability and good working order of OS X in general and OD/PM in particular and using .local for the TLD is a major no no.

If it was me I would export what you can out of OD, bear in mind passwords do not export and get what you can out of PM. Don't be tempted to backup the OD database to restore later on as that won't really work either as there will be hundreds of references to the previous domain the new OD database won't be able to accommodate.

My 2p.

Feb 5, 2016 2:45 AM in response to Jarv15

You could try moving the Server App to the trash and deleting the following files (some of which may not exist):

/.ServerBackups

/var/db/.ServerSetupDone

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.serverd.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgr_accounts.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgr_certs.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgr_info.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.servermgrd.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.apple.serverd

/Library/Server

Empty the trash, reboot and move the Server app from the trash back to the Applications folder and launch it again. Hopefully you should be good to go. However this method does/may not always work.

If it was me and seeing as it was a hostname change with the usual dire/major consequences for Open Directory/Profile Manager etc - and your hope is to get it 'right' and stable from the outset - I would back up any data you deem important, reformat and reinstall from scratch. I would not use Time Machine in any of this either.

My 2p.

OS X Server host name change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.