Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new Apple TV has no optical output. As I connected the old Apple TV HDMI output to the TV HDMI input for the best image, how can I handle the sound that before gets to my receiver optical input ?

The new Apple TV lacks the optical output. If I connect the HDMI of the new Apple TV to my TV set for the best image quality and used to feed my receiver from the optical output of the old Apple TV, how can I handle the sound now from the Apple TV 4th generation that miss it ?

null-OTHER, iOS 9.2, Missing optical output new AppleTV

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 4:38 PM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2016 4:41 AM in response to norberto BA

Just got the same question and waiting a good solution before upgrading to the 4th generation.

Using adaptors will be a bad solution also for the quality of the sound, even using audio passthrough port from TV (which should have the option to work with the TV off by the way, for when I am listening music without using tv screen)

I hope to see a new version with audio output port back on it.

PS: are the Apple engineers using Apple products? Or just saying "what this post is for? we do not need anymore!!" :-D

Sep 1, 2017 9:20 AM in response to norberto BA

If your receiver has HDMI switching built in, I recommend running an HDMI cable from the new Apple TV to the surround sound receiver and than from the HDMI Monitor out from the receiver to the TV. The HDMI audio signal carries a higher resolution for surround sound than Optical Audio does anyway. *You might have to go into your receiver menu/settings to make sure the HDMI is set to Auto, for best sound & video quality.

As for any future Apple TVs, if any audio port needs to be added, it would be an analog output for a Zone 2 on an inexpensive surround sound receiver. Since they usually do not have a DAC for the Zone 2.

The new Apple TV has no optical output. As I connected the old Apple TV HDMI output to the TV HDMI input for the best image, how can I handle the sound that before gets to my receiver optical input ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.