Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What kind of USB PCI Card should I get for a 1997 PowerMac G3?

I have a 1997 beige PowerMac G3, running system 9.2... I bought a USB PCI card for the machine, as it has no USB jacks, but the OS supports them. The item description says the PCI should work for PowerMacs G3 through G5, but from what I've heard there is quite a bit of difference between the beige PowerMac G3 from '97 and the blue and white one from '99. The eBay listing said nothing about either, only that the product is supposed to work on a PowerMac G3, which in all technicality I have.

So I bought and installed it, this is where things went sour. The PowerMac has 3 PCI slots, and before purchasing this card, I had a card for mini SCSI in the middle slot, which was actively working. Upon first installing the USB PCI card (and by installing I mean opening up the computer and plugging it into the mother board), once the computer was back together again, all it did was freeze the computer, and it would not boot, only power on and sit with the screen black.

Now, I had put the card in the slot below the mini SCSI card, and after attempted plugging it into the slot above the mini SCSI card, which only lead to the same result. So I then took out the mini SCSI and put the USB PCI card in the middle slot. This time the computer did power up, but would not recognize my flash drive when plugged into the new USB board. I tried a USB mouse, and the optical laser did light up, but the computer did not react. And when checking under the Apple System Profiler, I noticed the the USB PCI card was not listed under the hardware, whereas the mini SCSI board had done previously.

I think the computer freezing with a PCI card in any slot but the middle might be a quirk of this old computer, but I do believe that I am using the wrong PCI card for the machine, and I don't want to trouble shoot anymore as taking the computer apart every time it freezes does become tiresome.

If anyone could shed light on this situation, and point me in the right direction to finding something to put USB on my PowerMac, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Aidyn

Power Macintosh G3 (1997)-OTHER, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2016 1:50 PM

What company manufactured the USB controller chip on the card (not the brand of the card)? You might have to peel off a sticker to read the name. Is it VIA or Opti? Those cards were problematic for the beige G3s and could cause freezing. I had success with a 2-port IOGEAR USB 2.0 card in my fleet of beige G3s, which I attribute to them having an NEC controller chip.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2016 1:50 PM in response to applefanAidyn

What company manufactured the USB controller chip on the card (not the brand of the card)? You might have to peel off a sticker to read the name. Is it VIA or Opti? Those cards were problematic for the beige G3s and could cause freezing. I had success with a 2-port IOGEAR USB 2.0 card in my fleet of beige G3s, which I attribute to them having an NEC controller chip.

Jan 13, 2016 1:50 PM in response to applefanAidyn

My Beige G3 has a Macally UH2-222 that never gave any issues. It has the preferred NEC chipset. They are discontinued but you will still find them around on the used market, sometimes still in the box. You must use their software to get the thing to work in OS9. If you dont get an original disk with the card, here is the link to their archived drivers page:

http://macally.com/EN/techsupport/drivers/drivers.html

You need to scroll about halfway down to this link (screenshot):

User uploaded file

Jan 7, 2016 6:31 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan: The link on the Macally page was to an Apple software download ("USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1"), but it's dead now. In any event, the newer USB Support drivers that came with OS 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2 are far better, in that they have an updated database of supported devices. The O. P. has indicated that his G3 is running OS 9.2.x., so if he uses TomeViewer to extract the USB drivers from the OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 Update, he'll have better luck with device recognition. If he posts back, I'll list the files that he needs to extract from the System Update Tome.

Jan 11, 2016 6:16 AM in response to applefanAidyn

I used (still have probably) an Orange Micro USB/Firewire card in my G3 successfully. It too requires its special drivers and they didn't bring out any version for OSX. I remember not being able to transfer it to my G4 for use under Tiger OS.

If you live in a large city there may be a Mac User Group where people have old stuff they might be happy to donate.

Jan 11, 2016 11:56 PM in response to applefanAidyn

Perhaps a 5-port USB 2.0 card is too much for the first generation (1997) of beige G3s, because it draws too much power. Maybe it has to do with the fact that each port on a USB 2.0 card is on a separate bus with its own controller. I have a couple of early-1998 beige G3s with the first revision motherboard. I replaced the original ROM card with the improved Rev. B card to support configuration of dual hard drives and/or optical drives (master - slave) on both IDE buses. This is something that a G3 manufactured in 1997 won't support, if the original revision ROM card is still installed on the motherboard. I used theIOGEAR GIC220U 2-port USB 2.0 PCI card in all of my beige G3s and a pair of Blue & White G3s. It's no longer manufactured, but there are some listed on ebay, used and new-in-box. I never had any problem with it in the beige G3s, as it was primarily installed for use with flash memory drives. In my B&W G3s, the card provides the faster USB 2.0 speed that's supported by OS X (Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger). When booted from the OS 9.2.2 partition, the card functions at the slower USB 1.1 speed.

What kind of USB PCI Card should I get for a 1997 PowerMac G3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.