Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying static noise while using headphones with iPhone 6s

Hey everyone,

I just purchased an iPhone 6s and and have immediately began to regret doing so. After I set up the phone, I noticed an annoying clicking noise while using my headphones. It most resembles static, or the "ear-popping" noise.

The noise can be heard when there isn't other loud ambient noise. It's subtle, but annoying because I tend to spend a lot of time in quiet environments, and have a habit of keeping my headphones in. When the noise continues to come through my headphones when everything else is quiet, it is extremely annoying and distracting.

It happens most frequently when I click into text message conversations, and subsequently into the text message boxes. This is NOT the keyboard clicking noise, which I don't find to be annoying. I hear the noise before I even get to the keyboard. It also happens at random when I click into various other apps and make various selections, such as music selections. I even hear the static noise when I'm not using my phone, and it's sitting idly.

Here are the steps I've taken thus far:

iPhone 6s Hardware: I've returned the phone twice and the same thing happened with the new ones.

Software: One of the employees at the Apple store said there was a glitch with my software and that I would have to restore the phone and set it up as new, ignoring my backup. This seems to be the default option that Apple employees like to give when they're not familiar with the problem. I restored the phone to its factory settings, didn't restore from a backup, and still heard the clicking noise

Headphones: One of the employees said it had to be my headphones. The same thing happened with 6 different pairs of headphones, including two separate sets of brand new Apple ones that came with the phone. I also replaced my Bose headphones and continued to hear the static noise.

I never had this issue when using my iPhone 5s and am sick to my stomach that I can't get the 64 gb version back, as they for some reason discontinued making and selling it. Has anyone else experienced this staticky, ear-popping, clicking noise while using their headphones with the iPhone 6s? Does anyone have any solutions to this issue?

Thanks for your help

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2, null

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 11:13 PM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2016 4:13 PM in response to cbg2115

Phew, glad I found this post. I thought I was going crazy. I'm basically have the exact same problem as you. I originally thought I received a defective unit but my replacement 6S (64GB) just showed up and I'm getting the exact subtle, static, ear popping noise.

I've also notice that using the play/pause button on the remote mic has been buggy. Sometimes a click with engage play/pause on the phone and sometimes it won't. Same thing with the long click and hold to engage Siri. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've owned every major version of the iPhone since they've come out and never had an issue with static popping noises or the remote microphone button like this.

I've found several posts complaining about general jack issues and sound quality on the 6 series but none that are as specific to my problem described above.

Anyone else?

Mar 17, 2016 2:54 PM in response to vaya11

I also got this extremely annoying issue on my iPhone 6S 64gb. It drives me nuts.. and it feels like I'm using a cheap android phone.. The iPhone is very expensive and supposed to be a premium product? I've heard of many problems with the audioquality of the headphone-jack.

Now I wonder if you guys have found any ways around this? I only manage to reduce it by keeping the phone in silentmode but it's still there and it's not ok.

iOS 9.2.1

Oct 24, 2016 10:39 AM in response to caim2fr

Basically my symptoms are the following: I have a subtle popping/click noise before and after songs and videos.(DAC power saving method I assume when the chip itself starts or shuts down the soundboard,maybe. Which is completely OK because of power saving measure but come on I do not want to hear it every single time, it grinds my gears.) Even i hear a noise when I switch the silent mode button back and forth, furthermore in the case of lock sounds, the keyboard clicking sound lags because of it.(the first letter is silent/mute because first I hear the "popping clicking"-starting sound instead of conventional click of the keyboard).

This phenomenon disturbs me extremely. I tried enabling and disabling settings, EQ, sound limit, reset/ full reset as new phone/, reset with backup restore but no luck.

Annoying static noise while using headphones with iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.