Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I select File>Open in Photoshop, the window is small. Have to manually resize it each time. And other upgrade install issues

Every time I select File>Open Photoshop, the window is small. I resize it but it just resets the next time. I've gone through every "Preferences" folder I can find & searched for help with no luck. It's driving me crazy to have to manually resize & scroll thru all files each time. Am having other problems with Photoshop & am thinking of uninstalling El Capitan & going back to Lion. I orig had Photoshop CS5.1 but it didn't withstand the upgrade, even with the Java change, so had to uninstall & reinstall PS CS5 so lost all my presets & preferences. Would've been nice to have had a warning about this. I even waited for the Capture One software update to be compatible with El Capitan, but didn't even think I'd have to worry about Photoshop! Anyone else with these specific issues?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Photoshop

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 7:33 PM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2016 9:27 PM in response to taran z

Just want to check what Java you installed.

It needs to be this.

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

Could possibly be a corrupted preference file.

You could try moving the com.adobe.photoshop.plist to the desktop. Restart then relaunch Photoshop.

path to the file. Anew file will be made, but you will need to re-enter your preference, and may have to relaunch Pshop again for

those to take effect.

User uploaded file

you will need to make your <Home> Library visible, hidden by default.

In Finder click on Go menubar item, then hold the option/alt key, and the Library should appear in the list.

But do remember Photoshop CS5 is quite old now so there may be issues with El Capitan

what do Adobe say.

Jan 7, 2016 10:24 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for your reply. I did install Java for OS X 2015-001. I found out from Apple that the File>Open window size issue is a OS11.11 bug that the developers are still working on.

Re: Photoshop CS5.1, I get this message after PS tries to start & then immediately quits: "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred. Photoshop will now exit." I did talk to Adobe but no help from them.

(I also put a OS X Compatibility plug-in that was recommended into my PS plug-ins folders but no luck there either.)

You're right PS CS5.1 is older, but when searching for answers, it seems many people are still using it. I was so worried about my image capture software being compatible that I didn't research what I needed to do in case PS wasn't compatible w/ El Capitan!

Foolishly, I didn't save my PS preferences & presets, so lost them all when I had to uninstall PS CS5.1 & reinstall PS CS5. I do have full backups w/ Lion & orig. PS on it. I'm wondering if I need to go back & wait to upgrade later.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 1, 2016 7:39 AM in response to lrostoen

Your software is 6 years old. Adobe no longer supports it in any way, shape or form. if you wish to use CS5 or 5.5 Adobes official statement is you need to use OS 10.5 or 10.6

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

if you do not wish to upgrade to a version of Photoshop that is claimed by the developer to be compatible with OS 10.11 (only creative cloud is at this time) then you will need to downgrade your system to a previous instance of those OS's or use an older system that will allow you to install those platforms.

Apple does not make fixes to their software to accommodate outdated or even current software in the event it no longer works. See section O of the EULA you bound yourself to when you accepted the OS installer or bought a new computer.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX1011.pdf

Downgrade the OS or upgrade PS.

Every time I select File>Open in Photoshop, the window is small. Have to manually resize it each time. And other upgrade install issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.