Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri can't do anything... (iPhone 6)

At all.

"Remind me to (something)"

"I'm sorry I can't do that."

"Set an alarm for (time)"

"Play my music"

Restarting the phone fixes the problem for a short amount of time, but after a while it goes back to the same thing. Every command ends with Siri telling me, "I can't do that."

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2016 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 9:20 AM

Hello magicmage,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you keep getting error messages when trying to use Siri. The following article provides tips and instructions on using Siri and at the bottom there are troubleshooting steps that should help with your issues. You can see those steps here:

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

After each step, see if you still need help:

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. Make sure that the microphones on your device aren't blocked. For example, if your device has a protective case, remove it.
  6. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri works, get more help with the microphones on your device.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2016 9:20 AM in response to magicmage

Hello magicmage,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you keep getting error messages when trying to use Siri. The following article provides tips and instructions on using Siri and at the bottom there are troubleshooting steps that should help with your issues. You can see those steps here:

If Siri isn't available, or doesn't understand or respond to questions

After each step, see if you still need help:

1. Make sure that your iOS device has an Internet connection through Wi-Fi or cellular data.
  2. On your iOS device, make sure that Siri is turned on under Settings > General > Siri.
  3. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  4. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Siri and turn off Siri. Then turn it on again.
  5. Make sure that the microphones on your device aren't blocked. For example, if your device has a protective case, remove it.
  6. If you're using an iOS device, try to use Siri with a headset. If Siri works, get more help with the microphones on your device.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best regards.

Jan 12, 2016 4:53 PM in response to jeffd55

I did all of those things (thought not in that order) on my own.

As I said, restarting the phone does solve the problem for about 10 minutes before Siri starts refusing to do anything again.

The problem isn't the microphone either, as I can carry on a conversation with Siri just fine (in both English and Japanese) and it's not until I start asking Siri to do things for me that I get error messages (again both in English and Japanese). Speech to text appears to be almost perfect, this issue is when asked to actually complete a task Siri says it can't.

Jan 24, 2016 2:38 PM in response to Rosnlorne

Yup. Im having the same issues as well. When asked for information Siri is quick to give it to me i.e weather, traffic, but when asked to do certain things like set alarm/timer, launch an app, dial a phone number, set reminders etc.. it doesn't do it. Just says "Setting the alarm .." and then it says that it wasn't able to. I have an iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB on 9.2. I restored my iPhone from iCloud backup, nothing. Erased my iPhone and set it as new, nothing. Took it to the Genius Bar and got the phone swapped for a new one and it worked at first, but the same problem started happening again so it MUST be a software issue. After doing research I've been told that installing the 9.3 beta resolved this issue, but i don't feel comfortable having a beta installed on my phone since its still very buggy. My partners iPhone 6 64GB was having the exact same issue as well and he erased his iPhone, set it up as new and that seemed to do the trick for him, but for me it did not work. I filed a bug report with Apple at bugreport.apple.com please report this issue so Apple can fix this in the next software update. Cheers!

Feb 4, 2016 3:19 PM in response to magicmage

So this issue happened with my iPhone 6S twice, first after I got my phone (erasing and restoring from iCloud fixed it), then a second time later. After the second time it happened, I realized that, unless I'm completely mistaken, that it happened when I turned off my phone (not a hard restart). When I first got my phone at the end of December, before I finished setting everything up, Siri worked fine, but after I restarted my phone to transfer over a number, I noticed Siri stopped working. As I said before, restoring fixed it. However, later I turned off my phone before I went into an exam as an extra precaution, and I noticed when I went to use Siri the next day that it had the same problems as before. I don't know if powering off my phone really did cause those issues, or if that is when it started for anyone else, but Siri was working fine both times before I shut my phone off.

Edit: And if that is true, my concern is that a future iOS version, while bringing back Siri for the moment, will still have the issue come back after restating my phone again sometime later.

Feb 6, 2016 6:44 PM in response to magicmage

Same. Siri can handle any request online (weather, sports scores, etc), but can't access anything on my phone. I noticed the problem when I asked her to send a text to my wife (Melissa) and she said there were no Melissa's in my contact list. So I asked her to open Contacts, and she said I didn't have an app names Contacts.

I restarted, and the problem was fixed for about an hour. I cleared settings, but that didn't fix it at all.

Anyone also having this issue (not sure if it's related): Texts are defaulting to the standard "ding" tone, even though I confirm that my custom tone is set and can be played. One out of 5 texts will use the custom alert sound. Weird.

Feb 9, 2016 8:05 AM in response to jeffd55

Apple comments

While all the suggestions are good ones may I point out that this problem cropped up right about Christmas when Apple put millions of more devices online. Their servers which are used to make siri operate are absolutely overloaded. They'll catch up server capacity shortly and everything will straighten out. I seriously believe that most of you do not have a problem with your phones. My iPad 4 running iOS 6 did this to me the other day and Siri came on and said "I'm sorry I can't do that right now I'm processing 3 MILLION other requests. It has acted up over the last few weeks but not in the past. It's possible that Apple servers are putting a block on high-volume Siri users and when you restart your phone the block drops until you start using Siri again and then the block comes back up when you abuse it again. Just a theory based on the comments here from what appear to be high Siri usage individuals.

Feb 9, 2016 8:29 AM in response to i-broke

I can confirm that this problem is affecting other people than "high Siri usage individuals," unless asking to message my wife or play jazz once a week counts. I would estimate I use Siri fewer than 5 times in a month. Apple has big problems if I am considered to use Siri enough to "block."

Plus, Siri is able to do any amount of online activity, just not find or use apps stored locally on my phone.

Feb 23, 2016 9:31 AM in response to magicmage

Having exact same problem; iOS 9.2 iPhone 6+.. Siri can get weather fine and dictates my speech just fine, but cannot make calls, set timers or the like. She'll say "Making facetime call to Cristie" and them about 15 seconds later say "Uhoh, I can't do that right now, please try again later." I have other iOS devices here on different versions and they can use Siri just fine. Ive tried on and off wifi, with the same results. Rebooting doesnt even help. The only thing that resolves it for a little while is if I choose "Reset Network Settings" in General->Reset. But the issue crops up again sooner than later. One theory I have is it seemed to happen after Xmas time about the same time I had a Bluetooth enabled radio installed in my car. I will disable bluetooth and see if I can repeat the issue.

Definitely a pain in the arse.

Siri can't do anything... (iPhone 6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.