Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i connect a turntable to my mac book pro

how do i connect my aunt turn table to my mac book pro

aunt turn table-OTHER

Posted on Jan 7, 2016 5:52 AM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2016 6:07 AM in response to TonyC1969

"Aunt". Is that a brand or do you mean it is the one belonging to your mother's sister?

I don't know about newer turntables but older ones require an adapter to convert RCA jacks to a single pin stereo connector to fit into the audio-in socket on the computer. It will also likely require a pre-amplifier to boost the signal. I would do a web search because I recall reading once a product produced for specifically both purposes. Otherwise you will have to buy the items separately.

You will also require software for recording if that is your intention. Audacity is free.

Jan 7, 2016 7:19 AM in response to TonyC1969

If you connect it using USB, on the Mac, in System Preference Sound pane Input tab, see if the turn table is listed as a device. If it is, select it there. If this does not work, please post back. You can use the RCA output, converted into mini-stereo jack. A modern turn table that has USB probably also has a switch to change the RCA output to "line level."

Then, you need to run an app that can capture the audio being played. I use GarageBand to do this, which is pre-installed on recent Macs. I'm not going to write a GarageBand tutorial here, but you can set it up to record the audio coming from the Mac's selected sound input. You can use GarageBand to "massage" the audio, so that it sounds as good as possible, and edit the recording into separate song tracks. And you can use GarageBand to export the final product into iTunes as AAC files.

Recording analog audio and digitizing it is not "easy" (like ripping a music CD in iTunes). I did it for my old collection of records and cassette tapes, and achieved great results, but it took a lot of time and effort (and I had fun doing it).

how do i connect a turntable to my mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.