Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless Keyboard doesn't work anymore with Bootcamp running under El Capitan

I have a mid-2011 21.5" iMac 2.7Ghz, 12 GB with a Bootcamp partition with Windows 8 installed on it.

Everything used to work just fine.

In late September / early October I installed El Capitan, but never checked Bootcamp as only a few client projects require me to switch platforms.

A recurring project which needs to be updated with Windows apps landed back on my desk today.

So I launched Bootcamp/Wiindows and everything looked normal.

My Apple Wireless Mouse works but found, when I got to the Windows account log-in screen, that my Apple Wireless Keyboard doesn't work with Windows anymore.

I've read several threads on this discussion board, and tried suggestions made by various people: resetting the VMRAM, turning the iMac off and disconnecting the power supply, pairing the keyboard with Bluetooth in Mac OS X again. But no joy.

Several responses seem to indicate that there is software that can be downloaded within Windows which enable the keyboard to work again.

However I can't get passed the log in screen to reach the Windows desktop, because I need to enter my security number or password using my wireless keyboard.

So I appear to be stuck between a rock and a hard place :-(

Does anyone have any sensible, bright ideas that I can try in order to resolve this issue?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 21.5", 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12GB

Posted on Jan 7, 2016 10:34 AM

7 replies

Jan 8, 2016 8:27 AM in response to iBiker

If the keyboard and mouse work properly on the OSX side enable on-screen OSX Keyboard, that you can use with a mouse. Please see http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/21/mac-virtual-keyboard-os-x/ . Once your Virtual Keyboard is enabled, unpair only the Keyboard (but not the mouse).

Switch the iMac to Windows using only the mouse (System Preferences -> Startup Disk). Once Windows is booted, test if your Keyboard can be paired with the iMac. Windows will also let you you use an on-screen keyboard. Look for the Ease of Access button on the login screen at bottom left or right.

Jan 8, 2016 8:41 AM in response to iBiker

For anyone following this thread:

Today I followed Loner T's instructions - see above.

A quick tip regarding these - For ease, unlock your StartUp Disk Prefs BEFORE disabling your wireless keyboard.

Once I got into Windows 8.1 I still couldn't get it to recognise my Apple Wireless keyboard.

I decided to go back into Mac OS X and in doing so I received yet another Windows update.

This provided me with the blue screen of death - Grrr! - so then had to run the Automatic Repair feature.

Interestingly, at this point I was able to use my Apple Wireless keyboard to enter my Windows password - so something was working!

To cut a long story short, I eventually managed to get back into Windows again using the on-screen keyboard, then in Windows Bluetooth Settings, located my Apple Wireless keyboard and deleted it.

I then paired Windows with my keyboard again, and so far it's working fine.

New technology eh!? Sometimes it just does my head in! 😉

Wireless Keyboard doesn't work anymore with Bootcamp running under El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.