Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can is use time machine from 10.11.12 with 10.9.5 machine

I gave my old macbook to my daughter(macbook pro, 2009, 13 inch, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive) She lost her password and made a general mess of it.

I have a time machine backup from my current macbook pro, retina display, computer running10.11.12, Yosemite.

Can I use the time machine backup from my 2012 macbook 10.11.12 computer on the 2009 macbook 10.9.5?

If I could just put the entire machine on the older model and get it working that would be good. I just want it working.

I tried starting the 2009 machine with the disks that came with it but got no where and it still looked for her icloud password.

She does not even know her email, so I should have realized I was in for trouble.

I need it running and without her icloud account looking for her as I can not do anything now except as a guest and it still is looking for her.

I should not have given it to her as she just made a mess of it.

I hope I can figure this out but if desperate, I will take it in for help!! The APPLE hospital somewhere close by but it will be expensive.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 7, 2016 1:37 PM

1 reply

Jan 8, 2016 11:38 AM in response to drkathy

Enter her Apple ID and click Forgot Password,

Apple ID - Manage

User Password Reset

User Password Reset (3) Apple support - Snow Leopard and earlier

If you can get logged in, you can use Migration Assistant to copy the files.

Migration Assistant

Migration Assistant (2)

Migration Assistant – Tips and Tricks

If you use Time Machine, you won't be able to use it with the newer computer according to the blue box in the 1st linked article.

Inherit a Backup

Inherit a Backup (2)

can is use time machine from 10.11.12 with 10.9.5 machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.