Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete extra photos from burst?

I hope this is also the forum to ask Photo's related questions ...

When I have a burst photo, I click "Make Selection", then I select one photo out of the sequence (blue check mark), then click "Done",

but how can I make Photos delete all the rest?

Effectively, I want to save space by deleting all other photos in the burst. It's fine if I can never restore the other photos from the burst.

I am using Photos 1.3 under El Captan.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 2:07 PM

The Photos for Mac Forum is here:

Photos for Mac https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/photos_osx/content?filterID=conte ntstatus%5Bpublished%5D~objecttype~showall

It is filed under system software, because Photos is part of MacoS X.

To delete photos from a burst, use the option

• Keep the selected photos and delete the others in the burst, when selecting the keepers.
  • Click Keep Only Selection.The selected photos appear individually in the moment and unselected photos are placed in the Recently Deleted album. The burst no longer appears in the moment or in the Burst album.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2016 2:07 PM in response to GabrielZ

The Photos for Mac Forum is here:

Photos for Mac https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/photos_osx/content?filterID=conte ntstatus%5Bpublished%5D~objecttype~showall

It is filed under system software, because Photos is part of MacoS X.

To delete photos from a burst, use the option

• Keep the selected photos and delete the others in the burst, when selecting the keepers.
  • Click Keep Only Selection.The selected photos appear individually in the moment and unselected photos are placed in the Recently Deleted album. The burst no longer appears in the moment or in the Burst album.

Jan 8, 2016 2:07 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks a million for the splendidly illustrated explanation.

Everything works as you show, except that I am not given the options at the end -- Photos does not ask me "Would you like to keep ..." when I clock "Done".

Another funny thing is that all the bursts seem to be gone now : I did have quite a few with my import from my iPhone a few hours back. For each burst, I had selected one of them. Afterwards, it still showed the bursts as bursts in the "Photos" album (the one that shows the Moments).

Now all bursts except one are gone ...

Could that have anything to do with different Photos versions?

(I've got 1.3)

Jan 8, 2016 2:18 PM in response to GabrielZ

If you used the option " Keep Only Selection" after you selected the keepers, the burst will no longer be a burst.

The panel to select the option will vanish immediately after the option has been clicked. Perhaps you simply did not notice it or it was hidden behind other windows. The panel will not be shown, if you selected all photos as keepers.

User uploaded file

How to delete extra photos from burst?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.