Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone asking for a 4-digit passcode but I'm using a 6-digit passcode

Hello,

I set up a 6-digit passcode when I upgraded to iOS 9 back in September. When I woke up this morning and tried to unlock my phone using Touch ID, my phone (iPhone 6) asked for a passcode, but it is asking for a 4-digit passcode. My old 4-digit passcode did not work and I cannot enter a 6-digit one. Iõm fairly certain that I haven't touched a single setting related to the passcode since September. Right now my phone is pretty useless, as i tried if a restart might solve the problem and now my SIM card is also locked.

Is there any way to unlock the phone or do I need to restore it using iTunes?

Thank You!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 1:31 PM

Hello there, nakatauren.

It seems your iPhone is requesting a 4-digit passcode instead of the 6-digit passcode you had it set to and now you are unable to enter the necessary password to unlock it. The following Knowledge Base article offers up the options you have available for restoring your device:

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If you enter the wrong passcode in to an iOS device six times in a row, you'll be locked out and a message will say that your device is disabled.

Pick a way to erase your device

Unless you made a backup before you forgot your passcode, there isn't a way to save your device's data. You'll need to erase your device, which deletes all of your data and settings. Choose a way to erase:

• If you've synced with iTunes, use iTunes.
  • If you're signed in to iCloud and Find My iPhone is enabled, use iCloud.
  • If you don't use iCloud and you can't sync or connect with iTunes, use recovery mode.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2016 1:31 PM in response to nakatauren

Hello there, nakatauren.

It seems your iPhone is requesting a 4-digit passcode instead of the 6-digit passcode you had it set to and now you are unable to enter the necessary password to unlock it. The following Knowledge Base article offers up the options you have available for restoring your device:

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

If you enter the wrong passcode in to an iOS device six times in a row, you'll be locked out and a message will say that your device is disabled.

Pick a way to erase your device

Unless you made a backup before you forgot your passcode, there isn't a way to save your device's data. You'll need to erase your device, which deletes all of your data and settings. Choose a way to erase:

• If you've synced with iTunes, use iTunes.
  • If you're signed in to iCloud and Find My iPhone is enabled, use iCloud.
  • If you don't use iCloud and you can't sync or connect with iTunes, use recovery mode.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Jul 2, 2016 3:09 AM in response to Stmigarcia2016

I am having a similar issue. I restarted my iphone and it is asking me 6 digit passcode instead of 4 digit passcode. Also I use macbook air for backup and that itunes also cannot detect iphone5. I dont understand this is a bug from Apple. I have always sync my iphone with macbook and now first iphone is showing me 6 digit passcode screen instead of 4 digit and itunes also I cannot use to restore my iphone ?

My itunes cannot be used to restore my phone when I have backup on my macbook

Feb 12, 2016 6:45 AM in response to nakatauren

While the solution provided resolved the fact that devices are inaccessible, what is the root cause? Why, if we the users, are not making changes to our devices do we need to restore devices? There has to be a reason the iOS is changing from a 4 digit passcode to a 6 digit passcode and 6 to 4. There has to be a better solution then taking the hour or so, to wipe the devise and download a new iOS to a computer and the 30 minutes to an hour to install the new iOS. The hour or so to restore all my data, when it only took seemingly minutes for the device to change my passcode length from 4 digits to 6.

Sep 15, 2016 12:47 AM in response to pedro d

I made a backup to iCloud of my old device iPhone 4S (iOS 9.3.5). Then battery died on my iPhone 6 (iOS 9.3.?). Once the iPhone 6 rebooted, it started asking for a 4 digit passcode, although my passcode is 6 digits. Way back it was 4 digits, later 5 and now 6. I remember all of those, but none of them works. I'm guessing it still would require the 6 digit code, but allows typing only four.

iPhone asking for a 4-digit passcode but I'm using a 6-digit passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.