Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Special characters and accents on the smart keyboard?

How do I type special characters and accents on the iPad Pro smart keyboard? For example, I'd like to write "Róisín Murphy" with the accents in the name as shown here. But I can't find a way to do that. Isn't there like a software keyboard that I can pull up on screen for those?

Thank you.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 9.2, With Smart Keyboard

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 2:29 PM

flamingolaw wrote:

I have installed the Italian keyboard

If you go to Settings > General > Keyboards > Hardware Keyboards, then make sure the one for Italian is set to Italian instead of automatic or anything else, your hardware keyboard should act like an Italian one:

User uploaded file

29 replies

May 14, 2017 12:04 PM in response to simonfrommilano

Hello!

I have discovered how to make these extended keyboard accents available!

On your iPad (pro) go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > English > and then choose "ABC Extended".

Once in this mode, open your typing program (mine is Word) and hit opt+a, X where X is the letter you want to accentuate. Long-accent O: ō. This even works in this browser.

I have not yet explored what all the key combinations are for the ABC Extended hardware option is, and I'm sure the other hardware keyboards listed in the menu can do this as well, but I know that the extended keyboard can do combinations like ǜ and such.

Cheers!

Jul 31, 2017 3:05 PM in response to simonfrommilano

A long press on the down arrow, in the lower right hand corner of the screen, will bring up the on-screen keyboard. You can then long press the letter on the screen for which you want the accent character and the options for that letter will come up. To me, this is much easier than trying to remember all the key press combinations. Bringing up the on-screen keyboard is also useful for times when you want to use Siri for dictation.

Jul 31, 2017 6:46 PM in response to simonfrommilano

Use the option () key on an Apple Smart Keyboard. For example, ⌥ p == π.

I've posted a gist of the option keys at Apple Smart Keyboard Special Characters and Accents · GitHub.

KeysCharacter
⌥ qœ
⌥ ⇧ qŒ
⌥ w
⌥ ⇧ w
⌥ e + aá, é, …
⌥ ⇧ e´
⌥ r®
⌥ ⇧ r
⌥ t
⌥ ⇧ tˇ
⌥ y¥
⌥ ⇧ yÁ
⌥ u + aä, ë, …
⌥ ⇧ u¨
⌥ i + aâ, ê, …
⌥ ⇧ iˆ
⌥ oø
⌥ ⇧ oØ
⌥ pπ
⌥ ⇧ p
⌥ [
⌥ ⇧ [
⌥ ]
⌥ ⇧ ]
⌥ \«
⌥ ⇧ \»
⌥ aå
⌥ ⇧ aÅ
⌥ sß
⌥ ⇧ sÍ
⌥ d
⌥ ⇧ dÎ
⌥ fƑ
⌥ ⇧ fÏ
⌥ g©
⌥ ⇧ g˝
⌥ h˙
⌥ ⇧ hÓ
⌥ jÔ
⌥ ⇧ jÔ
⌥ k˚
⌥ ⇧ k
⌥ l¬
⌥ ⇧ lÒ
⌥ ;
⌥ ⇧ ;Ú
⌥ 'æ
⌥ ⇧ 'Æ
⌥ zΩ
⌥ ⇧ z¸
⌥ x
⌥ ⇧ x˛
⌥ cç
⌥ ⇧ cÇ
⌥ v
⌥ ⇧ v
⌥ b
⌥ ⇧ bı
⌥ n + a, n, oã, ñ, õ
⌥ ⇧ n˜
⌥ mµ
⌥ ⇧ mÂ
⌥ ,
⌥ ⇧ ,¯
⌥ .
⌥ ⇧ .˘
⌥ /÷
⌥ ⇧ /¿
⌥ ` + aà, è, …
⌥ 1¡
⌥ ⇧ 1
⌥ 2
⌥ ⇧ 2
⌥ 3£
⌥ ⇧ 3
⌥ 4¢
⌥ ⇧ 4
⌥ 5
⌥ ⇧ 5
⌥ 6§
⌥ ⇧ 6
⌥ 7
⌥ ⇧ 7
⌥ 8
⌥ ⇧ 8°
⌥ 9ª
⌥ ⇧ 9·
⌥ 0º
⌥ ⇧ 0
⌥ -
⌥ ⇧ -
⌥ =
⌥ ⇧ =

> How do I type special characters and accents on the iPad Pro smart keyboard? For example, I'd like to write "Róisín Murphy" with the accents in the name as shown here. But I can't find a way to do that. Isn't there like a software keyboard that I can pull up on screen for those?

Oct 26, 2017 2:11 PM in response to rbutler222

Richard,

Up until recently Option-i, and then a would type â. But I think there's been a change.The Option-i, then a creates ʼa.

The only way I've been able to get the â has been to hold the a down until a little pop up appears. Then tap the right arrow three times to move to the circumflex over the a.

I swear that I have been able to get the â your way. But suddenly it's not working.

UPDATE: Just discovered that a "ABC-EXTENDED" keyboard changed the behavior of Option-i, then a. But moving back to US restored the shortcut.

Now I have to figure out where I got ABD-EXTENDED

Nov 11, 2017 12:52 PM in response to bportier

My iPad Pro does not give me the "Hardware Keyboard" option. I do not understand why.

So, I am stuck with the normal keyboards (French, German, Swedish, etc) , which, in fact, I do not use. I just press longer on a letter when I need an accent.

On the iPadPro, without the "Hardware Keyboard" option, I cannot access the "US-international" keyboard, which I have on my Mac Pro and use daily to type pinyin texts.

Simon, to type Rósín, I just used this method (press longer on the letter).

Anyone has an answer on pinyin on the iPad Pro?

Jan 9, 2016 9:54 AM in response to isabelle252

isabelle252 wrote:

How about the accent grave (the other accent for e, there are three others, grave, circonflexe, and another)

You can find the standard option key shortcuts for everything at

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codemac.html

To ask Apple to add the feature where you can just hold the key down, go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback

May 3, 2016 1:19 PM in response to isabelle252

isabelle252 wrote:

How about the accent grave (the other accent for e, there are three others, grave, circonflexe, and another)

Surely an ipad pro should have something ready for that. On a normal ipad you just pressed the letter and it gave you options.

This is really rubbish, if I may say.

Yes, it's something of a retrograde step considering that in OS X, you can get to accented characters exactly as you do with the iOS screen keyboard... i.e. by holding down a key in any application where accented characters might be needed.

As for that grave character... it still eludes me.

May 3, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

isabelle252 wrote:

You can find the standard option key shortcuts for everything at

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codemac.html

To ask Apple to add the feature where you can just hold the key down, go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Unfortunately, both of your links above simply redirect to the discussions page... and on an iPad Pro, I cannot select them either!

Special characters and accents on the smart keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.