Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod nano wheel won't work

I have tried bending the pin as suggested in an earlier answer ...and even jiggling it, but still nothing...the only way I have of continuing to use this Ipod Nano is with the remote control of the docking/player device.

iPod nano

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 7:48 PM

Which iPod nano model is it? If it has a "wheel," it must be 5th gen or earlier. I assumed you checked the Hold switch, to make sure it is in the OFF position.

8 replies

Jan 9, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I'm not exactly sure whether it's a 4th or 5th generation (it is silver with a black wheel and MENU at the top of the wheel and arrows ( I<< >>I ) at the left and right of the wheel and >II at the bottom of the wheel. I'm not following what you said about Hold switch being in the OFF position...i only know that when I tried the "pin jiggling" suggestion, the little button on the top was shifted to the left (which I assume is the ON position?...when i shift it to the right, it shows a little orange paint next to it...which i'm assuming is the OFF position). If I sound completely stupid, it's because I am. I'm old and have no understanding (or patience for that matter) with today's technology and "new-fangled" contraptions! 🙂

Jan 9, 2016 2:53 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

okay.. i shall try to explain in more detail...

it doesn't make any difference if the little switch at the top is on/with orange showing or off....the iPod simply will not work (i.e., the wheel will not "scroll", and the button in the center of the wheel doesn't move the screen to the next menu). The device is completely inoperable unless I place it in a GigWare docking/player and use the remote control.

/pr

Jan 9, 2016 3:02 PM in response to PRStump

If you have not already, try doing a Reset (restart of iPod)

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support (see section iPod with a click wheel)

If that does not help (or you can't do it because the click wheel is not responding), it could be a hardware problem. However, if the iPod still appears in iTunes when connected, you can try doing a Restore on iPod using iTunes. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes. This will erase the iPod, reinstall its software, and set it to default settings.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If a software or settings corruption issue is the cause, the Restore should fix it. Otherwise, there is likely to be a hardware problem, such as on the click wheel mechanism or the Hold switch (always ON even when set to OFF).

Jan 9, 2016 4:16 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

i went to itunes and did a reset ...which totally wiped out everything on my iPod...and of course the wheel/control still will not operate the device... and worse yet, now the thing will not even SYNC. It just shows "Connected .. Eject before disconnecting"... (which i did)... and when i reconnected, it started syncing, but only for a few seconds, and then it stopped.... so now I've lost all my music and stuff that was on there and can't reload it since it now will not sync with itunes.... aaaarrrrrggghh.

Jan 9, 2016 7:41 PM in response to PRStump

After the Restore, it is not set up to sync automatically. That's why "syncing" does not sync anything. You can set up automatic syncing, or load it manually by dragging songs to the iPod in iTunes.

To set up automatic syncing, select the iPod in iTunes (click device button on horizontal bar) to show the iPod's settings screen in iTunes window. Along left side (in the sidebar), under Settings, click Music. To the right, the iPod's Music settings screen is shown, where you tell iTunes how to sync songs to iPod.

At the top, checkmark the box for Sync Music. This turns ON automatic syncing. Below that, if your iTunes music library fits on iPod, choose the option to sync Entire music library. Otherwise, choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. And make your selection from the lists below. Then, click Apply. Going forward, iTunes keeps the iPod "in sync" based on how you set up this screen.

However, if the click wheel still does not work after the Restore, that's probably a hardware problem.

Ipod nano wheel won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.