Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup Photos to a Synology NAS

I have a Sonology NAS DS115j. Is there any easy way to back up Photo's to the NAS? I know that "Show Package Contents" on the Photos library file is an option, but that seems like a ridiculous way to copy an individual file to a different location. Selecting an exporting files to a separate location also seems way harder than it needs to be. Has anyone came up with an easy solution, rather than copying the whole Photos library?

I am using OSX 10.10.5
and Synology NAS DSM 5.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 4:47 PM

That app might copy the library to the NAS but it's designed for image files in folders and not a Photos or iPhoto library.

If you want to store your original image files on the NAS select all of the photos in the library and with the File ➙ Export Unmodified Originals menu option export the original files to a folder on the Desktop. Then use your uploader to copy that folder to the NAS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2016 4:47 PM in response to Michael Houser1

That app might copy the library to the NAS but it's designed for image files in folders and not a Photos or iPhoto library.

If you want to store your original image files on the NAS select all of the photos in the library and with the File ➙ Export Unmodified Originals menu option export the original files to a folder on the Desktop. Then use your uploader to copy that folder to the NAS.

Jan 8, 2016 4:30 PM in response to Michael Houser1

You should not backup a Photos library to an NAS server. The format of the server does not support the complex structure of the library with its complex relational database, links between files and access permissions that are required. It is not supported as a viable backup medium for a Photos or iPhoto library.

The backup drive must be formatted as shown in this screenshot and be directly connected i.e. USB, FW or Thunderbolt, to the Mac.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Backup Photos to a Synology NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.