Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Shared Secret Key when connecting to a VPN and where can I find/make it.

I am hosting a VPN server on my windows computer. However when I try to connect to it, I cannot figure out what the "Shared Secret Key" that it wants is and where I can find it. I have tried searching for this in countless places. Please tell me where I can find it and where I can create it. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 15.4" i7 2.5ghz 16GB Ram 500 GB SSD

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 10:19 PM

The shared secret is a kind of password. It's defined by the VPN server, so that would be the place to start looking. Personally I have no experience in running Windows Server's VPN service so I can't be more specific, but hopefully that points you in the right direction.

5 replies

Jan 9, 2016 6:21 PM in response to Æwesome Master

I think you're misinterpreting that dialog.

The option to 'allow others to make private connections to my computer' is not the same as operating a VPN server. It's the equivalent to running an SSH server on Mac OS X... something that allows a user to log in to this computer from a different host, but not that acts as a complete VPN connection to the whole network.

As Alberto notes, there is no built-in VPN server on the client version of Windows.

What is the Shared Secret Key when connecting to a VPN and where can I find/make it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.