Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no long print documents from my iMac/Snow Leopard/HP Laserjet 2300dtn combo. because every time I try, a message comes up: ERROR: A Fax number was not provided. There is no mention whatever of 'fax' in the "Print and Fax' file in System Prefs.

I am using a 2011 iMac running Snow Leopard, but can no longer print documents via my hp laserjet 2300dtn printer. Reason: Each time I try, a message comes up via the PRINT icon in the Dock, reading: "ERROR: A Fax number was not provided". There is no fax option in the Print & Fax window in System Prefs so I have no idea re origin of error message, but suspect there's corruption in the Print preferences. So I went username/library/Preferences/com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs plist .. and dragged file to the trash. Alas, the problem remains unresolved. I'm far from computer literate and would appreciate any advice to resolve this situation.

Posted on Jan 8, 2016 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 9:39 PM

Try resetting the printing system.

Reset Printing System

3 replies

Jan 9, 2016 9:47 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, many TNX. Your suggestion allowed me to get one printer (Canon inkjet) up and running OK. But I cannot add my second (and most frequently used) printer - a HP Laserjet 22300dtn. Have tried every which way to 'enrol' the HP but with total lack of success. The ADD PRINTER window will not accept any other printer name. Am baffled and frustrated. Any suggestions?

....judburyjim

I can no long print documents from my iMac/Snow Leopard/HP Laserjet 2300dtn combo. because every time I try, a message comes up: ERROR: A Fax number was not provided. There is no mention whatever of 'fax' in the "Print and Fax' file in System Prefs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.