Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I link my phone number to my Apple ID for iMessages?

My iMessage/FaceTime won't work; it always shows waiting for activation.

Under send/Receive at it only gives me the option to use my email address, never my phone number.

I have tried turning iMessage/FaceTiMe off, logging out of Everything on my phone. turning on and off. Resetting to factory setting. I've created a new Apple account and that didn't work. I've tried other people's apple accounts, which I can see their phone number and email address but my phone number never shows up.

I spoke to an Apple Tech support on the phone and she said she can't see any issues and gave me a case number. She suggested logging out of everything, resetting to factory setting and start again. Which I did already but did again to please her and yet still no fix.

i Visited my network provider (Telstra) to ask for help and if it was something on their side. They said it had nothing to do with them but provided me with a new SIM card (keeping the same number) and that didn't work.

Can anyone help? It is frustrating. I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook pro, an imac computer and a couple of Apple TVs. I just want everything to work properly.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 4:25 AM

3 replies

Jan 9, 2016 5:21 AM in response to Nachitostar

I understand how it works But...

IF for some reason I have no internet or wifi available the messages do not go through to a phone number instead they go to my email account. I do have ticked send a sms if iMessage no available.

ALso,

IF I start a new conversation with someone that doesn't have my phone they only receive the message with my email address. People with iPhones are unable to send me a message to my phone number as it just automatically gets converted to an iMessage and goes to my email address.

ON my boyfriends phone; when I go to the settings and imessage under send/receive at it shows the option to click his phone number and email address. Mine only shows my email address. Also start new conversation on my phone option is only my email address. Where he can chose either email address or phone number. Which he has phone number selected. This is what I want.

NO where can you add a phone number to your Apple ID other than for billing but you can add multiple email addresses for friends/family to be able to contact you.

Feb 5, 2016 1:12 AM in response to Deidre88

I have the same problem too. Previously I was sharing an Apple ID on 2 iPhones, with different carriers and numbers.

When I return the company phone, I signed off the iMessage & Facetime, but somehow the personal phone is showing the company phone number.

I've done all you've done (reset network, reset & delete, restore), changed SIM, contacted Apple Support, still no avail.

I was on iOS 9.2 on iPhone 5 & 6s.

Hopefully iOS 9.3 will sort this out.

How do I link my phone number to my Apple ID for iMessages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.