Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Hard Drive Issues

Hello, I know that this product is likely way out of support, but I still have questions. I have a summer 2001 iMac G3 (600MHz, 10.4.11) in a small collection, and when I use it, it runs pretty slow. It takes a lot of time to load certain applications, and initially I thought it was just because of its age. But then, out of curiosity, I opened up Disk Utility and got this message after Verifying the disk:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Invalid sibling link

The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

Volume needs repair

When I went to Repair the disk, it couldn't do that, probably because it had to unmount the only disk it has, which is understandable. And, after reading how to repair the disk in Disk Utility, I found that I need an OS X install disk. However, I lost the install disk for 10.4.11, but I have Mac OS 9.1, OS X 10.0, 10.1, and 10.3. I'm wondering: will it still be possible to repair the disk even though they won't be running 10.4, or do I have to have the same operating system as on the hard drive?

Second: If it is possible to repair the disk using an install disk that isn't 10.4, will I be able to install one of those operating systems (9.1, 10.0, or 10.3) and keep 10.4.11 in its place? Or will I have to delete 10.4 and install one of those systems?

Thanks for any feedback!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G3

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 3:15 PM

That's a directory error and you'd be better off buying Alsoft's "DiskWarrior" to repair it. It has always been a far more effective solution to successfully correcting badly-corrupted directories, than Apple's Disk First Aid or Disk Utility. Check out the details on their website.

7 replies

Jan 9, 2016 11:50 AM in response to Wind5387

1) Disk repair is run when you start up in safe mode. To see if it worked, you will have to run disk utility again.

Try a safe boot.

Shutdown your machine. Hold down the shift key. Poweron. Wait awhile; wait awhile while you harddrive

is being checked.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

2)

You need to get into single use mode for steps one and two that are listed below.

This page will tell you how to get into single user mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

Basically, you hold down the command + s key then powering on your machine. The command key has a little apple symbol on the lower left. It is between the alt/option key and the space bar. On a PC keyboard, it will be the windows key, I think.

1) ( Do you know Unix. You are in a Unix single user console. ) The setup commands you need should be listed on the screen. For Mac OS 10.4.11, the commands are:

# check out the filesystem.

# ( in case of partial success repeat this command until errors go away. )

/sbin/fsck -fy

# reboot your mac

shutdown -r now

Jan 13, 2016 12:55 AM in response to Wind5387

If you are considering DiskWarrior or any current brand of software utilities, be sure to

contact the maker for details on if they still offer an older version for use in the hardware

and software vintage of your computer.

Some kinds of repairs may be performed from a newer computer running a later version

of third-party disk utility to attempt a repair on the vintage gear hard drive, but that may

not work out. There are variables. The current retail Disk Warrior likely is not a match

unless it may be possible to run it from a newer Mac, to test/repair the old Mac's HDD.

From Disk Warrior:

Requirements for Older Macs

•If you have older PowerPC-based Macs that are not capable of running OS X,

DiskWarrior 2.1 is still available for purchase directly from Alsoft.

Please contact our Technical Support Department to order.

•DiskWarrior 4 version 4.4 is available, by request, on CD or DVD for old Macs

that cannot run DiskWarrior from a flash drive. However, these CDs and DVDs

cannot start up any currently shipping Macs models and can only be obtained

by first contacting our Technical Support Department.

{Other older versions of popular utility software from the era may still work to fix

or attempt to repair issues in those old architecture computers & their MacOS

or OS X. Some kinds of errors and issues were found to be alleviated by use of

one or another popular third-party utility at the time they were current.}

Another idea may be to consider replacement of the hard disk drive, of like kind

given they do wear out. The ATA/IDE/EIDE (PATA) drives may be harder to find.

Some models of SSD (OWC Mercury Legacy) are compatible with old ATA/IDE.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jan 16, 2016 2:37 PM in response to rccharles

Hmmm....

So, just a second ago, I tried a safe boot. The computer started up, and the Apple logo and scrolling wheel showed up, and in the middle of the boot up, it just turned itself off. It wasn't abrupt – it turned off as if I hit the shut down button when in OS X.

As a precaution, I turned it back on without safe booting, and it booted up normally, but I still got the same message as above once I ran Disk Utility.

I tried safe booting a second time, and it shut off again... On the second try, I did notice that when I pressed the Shift key to safe boot, the hard drive sounds like it is working harder (obviously because it's checking itself), but it briefly froze, since I noticed the light on the Pro Mouse went out, the Pro Keyboard cut out briefly (I checked by hitting caps lock by an accident both times), and the hard drive also briefly stopped checking files (the sound of the hard drive sort of "clicking" or "shuffling through files), before the scrolling wheel popped up.

So, it seems like safe booting may not work... To DiskWarrior then, unless there are more suggestions that follow.

May 1, 2016 6:19 AM in response to Wind5387

Rather than spend $50 on Disk Warrior and likely find that this type of corruption is beyond its ability to repair, you would be much better off buying an OS X install DVD. Then you can erase and reinstall, if Disk Utility cannot repair the link. From my 18 years experience using Macs, the invalid sibling link error is unrepairable in 99% of cases, whether by Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, or Data Rescue (I have both of those expensive tools).

http://tinyurl.com/3wz3kbg

Jul 12, 2016 9:48 AM in response to Moof666

Suggested by others - http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq/imac-g3-hard-drive-upgrade-replac ement-instructions.htmlhttp://
that an EASY solution to is to update that slowpoke 40GB IDE drive with a FireWire Drive or Enclosure - your IMac even has two FW400 ports.

I can say that but have I actually done that for my Early 2001 iMac 600 SE - FP? No. I bought a USB-only drive, won't do at all.

iMac G3 Hard Drive Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.