Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gray screen with pointer at login screen

sometimes when i boot my iMac 11,2 i get a gray screen where i only have my mouse pointer.

if i click where my user image should be and then type my password i can login, if i hold my power button down for a second until the display sleeps and then press it again to wake everything displays as it should.

this started after upgrading from yosemite to el capitan, i have done an smc and pram reset as a co-worker suggested and it helped for a little while, but according to apple i need to upgrade my firmware... so i checked the page About EFI and SMC firmware downloaded iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) iMac11,2 IM112.0057.03B (2015-002) and it wouldn't let me install it as it is for mavericks... i currently have Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B03.

what do i do wait for apple to update the page?

i have the same issue with getting the security patch to block a malicious terminal command, can't install it because it is meant for a lower os x version.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 8:40 AM

5 replies

gray screen with pointer at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.