Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th Gen Lag using Airplay between MacBook Pro and Apple TV

I see a serious lag when playing videos or mirroring from my MacBook Pro(OS-Elcapitan) to Apple TV using Airplay. I updated to latest software.

Model - Apple TV 4th gen (Latest 32GB)

Is any one facing similar issue and also let me know if there is any fix for this ?

Airplay works fine with my iphone 6 and Ipad Air.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 2:58 PM

31 replies

Sep 16, 2017 8:59 PM in response to Maximus8055

I finally sound a solution! I've been having the same issue ever since I updated to Yosemite. I'm running an early 2011 mbp, was having issues with major lagging when trying to use airplay mirroring with Apple TV to the point of it not being worth using. I read that it was a software bug with the update with no fix.

Well, I finally upgraded my RAM from 4GB DDR3 to 8GB DDR3 and on top of all my programs opening and running faster - it also fixed the atv lag as well as some minor quality issues with bluetooth sound!!

It's a super easy fix and can be done for pretty cheap, I ordered my RAM off amazon and already owned a toolkit, so I just installed it myself. Tons of instructions on how to DIY updates your RAM. And well worth it, you'll feel like you have a new computer!

Oct 2, 2017 8:56 PM in response to vazandrew

I have a very similar issue as described in these posts but I will elaborate with a bit more information. For years I’ve used Airplay mirroring as a way of using a large flat-screen display in my meeting room so that we use it as a way of sharing screen for client presentations. I’ve used this setup easily since 2012. We’ve made it work with several different models of MacBook Pros from a 2012 model, a 2014 and a 2015 model, all of them always high-spec units.

Early this year I purchased the newest late 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar, 15” model, with the Radeon 455 graphics. With this particular MacBook Pro I have serious lag and stuttering with any airplay mirroring. It overheats the computer and I suspect that it may even do some cpu or gpu throttling down (even though I don’t have the time to run testing and verify this suspicion). The overall slowing down of the computer gets so bad that it even seriously hampers the ability to do any work on our design software.

The frustrating part is that lately I chose to use one of the older MacBook pros (the ones I handed down after buying the new one) and with the older ones (I tested with both the 2014 and 2015 models) there is no lag when doing airplay mirroring and no slowing down of the computer.

Also, battery life is seriously affected also. On the 2016 unit with touchbar, I can’t get more than an hour of battery when doing airplay mirroring. The computer get burning hot. With any of the older units we can get over 3 hours of battery life when doing airplay mirroring, and without lag.

All of this happens same way with either a latest generation Apple TV or older (I think 3rd generation) Apple TV.

Network is all apple branded airport extremes, which always work beautifully.

The most frustrating part is that after spending lots of $$$ on the latest and greatest MacBook Pro and trusting apple‘s own marketing where they always state considerably faster gpu performance from their latest computers, in reality this newer unit performs incredibly worse than older MacBook pros. My inevitable solution is asking my assistant to loan me her computer when I need to do client presentations since her MacBook Pro 2015 (I handed it down to her) performs way better than my own, the newest 2016 MacBook Pro 15” With touchbar with Radeon 455 graphics,

Oct 2, 2017 11:38 PM in response to vazandrew

Just as clearly described above.... Anyway potential network issues would in no way explain excessive computer overheating, significantly reduced battery life (as compared with other, older MacBook pros), and excessive application use slowdown, almost to the level of not being able to do any work.

Is this remark simply your standard response to any query or comment? I would sincerely expect much more from an Apple support channel.

Oct 3, 2017 5:29 AM in response to vazandrew

How do I run diagnostics on the network? Why would the network be the culprit if the same process of doIng airplay mirroring from older MacBook pros works perfectly without lag or stuttering, over the same network and to the same Apple TVs (both a 3rd generation model and a 4th generation model)?

Yes, the Apple airport extremes are kept with their firmware up to date.

Obviously I am NOT working on Ethernet since as described above I am working on a late 2016 MacBook Pro which does NOT have an Ethernet port, only 4 USB-C ports.

And what about the issues with with the computer itself that I described? Overheating, severely impacted battery life, severe slowing down in applications? I refute the comment of this being a separate issue since these thing only happen when doing Airplay mirroring, so of course they are related to each other and derived from the newer MacBook Pro itself when using airplay mirroring.

Oct 3, 2017 6:27 AM in response to Roderick Anderson

You would use a program like istumbler or you can search for another. It would show an accurate representation of signal strength along with noise detected and nearby networks

Just because other devices are working doesn't rule out a network issue, sometimes only certain devices are impacted and there are various factors. Mirroring is also very intensive and requires a very stable connection so it will pick up on any little thing and that will result in lag.

You would be connecting Ethernet between Apple tv and router

I am concentrating on the mirroring as this is the Apple TV forum, best to deal with the other issue in another section or have apple take a look.

Dec 13, 2017 2:50 PM in response to vazandrew

I have a same (almost) trouble. When i start mirroring from MBP 2016 touchbared its laggy as dam. Apple TV says
the connection is lost for every 20-30 minutes, it's also spikes the video streamed to TV and my mac is heated really much. Did you find any proper solution? I got 4k TV, bought it a month ago. Other sources like 2 iphones is working well with streaming 😟

Apple TV 4th Gen Lag using Airplay between MacBook Pro and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.