Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move photos out of a Project back to an Album?

We made a Christmas card in Iphoto and unfortunately we added photos to use directly into the Project instead of into an Album first. We had planned to use the same pictures to also make a Calendar. For the life of me I cannot find a way to move the selected pics out of the Project and into an Album to start such a new project. Can't even move one individual pic out at all, let alone select all (which doesn't work here anyway). It's a couple of hundreds photos out of probably a few thousand so I hope someone has an answer, as it would take hours to re-do this. Help?? Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 5:01 PM

11 replies

Jan 10, 2016 11:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, there is no slideshow or tray. I'm in the Project, have our Christmas card on the screen and all the photos on the right. The ones we actually used in the card have a checkmark. We did not make an album first with the almost 300 pics we were considering for the Card and now the Calendar. We moved them straight from the Library and albums into the Card project. Dang! So, our problem is that we cannot seem to get the pics showing on the right selected and can't move them into an album to then make a Calendar. We can click on a pic, get the yellow outline, but cannot move that into an album, only into the Card.

I made a copy of the Project to see if I could then change it from a Card project to a Calendar project but alas, that doesn't work either. Would love to hear any additional suggestions if you have any!

Thanks & regards,

Con

Jan 13, 2016 8:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi OT,

Sorry, no, there is the photo tray on the right but, I can only select one photo at a time, not all, and I can only move that photo into the current Project, my Card. I cannot move the photo let alone photos plural into anything else. Unless there is a way to do that, I (or rather, my wife) will have to go through the same several thousand pictures again to select the same 300-ish ones, but this time put them into an album instead of a project. I sure wish there were an easier way so, any thoughts/suggestions you may have would be most welcome, thanks!

Jan 16, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Conradus Jager

Try, if you can create a smart album with the photos from the Card project. This works in iPhoto 9.6.1, but I don't remember if it worked in your version.

For example, if the card project is called MyCard, go to File > New > Smart Album

and add a rule:

Album is MyCard

User uploaded file

In iPhoto 9.6.1 this smart album will aso include the "Last Import" album photos. You may want to exclude this with an additional rule.

Dec 19, 2016 9:03 AM in response to Jbflyfish

I have Photos 9.6.1.

I'm not sure - are you using Photos or iPhoto? There is only iPhoto 9.6.1, but not Photos 9.6.1.

In iPhoto 9.6.1 the drop-down menu "Album is", is showing all projects, but in Photos for Mac this is not possible. In Photos you have to collect the photos you want to use in a project in an album, before you add them to the project. There is no way back from the project to an album. I add a keyword to all photos I am using in a project.

Can I move photos out of a Project back to an Album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.