Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the Health app not available for iPad ?

Many senior citizens like me use Apple products, many of my friends have iPads yet the Health is not available for the iPad.

Please understand that the iPad makes easier for people my age to write and read information on a bigger screen than the iPhone.

iPad has the the same IOS as the iPhone, please make the Helath app for iPad.

thanks

tony batista

Miami, Fl

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 9:12 PM

Yes, but i am considering eliminating my Fitbit tracker and using the Apple Watch to monitor my steps. I am reluctant to go ahead because I like the functionality of having the iPad to monitor weight/steps/nutrition when my iPhone is being otherwise used or not available.

i wonder give that MyFitnessPal and Fitbit have iPad versions, why is Apple unwilling to have its own health app usable on its own iPad hardware? (To other posters here: yes I realise the iPad won"t count the steps, I just want to be able to see the data on all my IOS devices.)

Thanks again Phil.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2017 9:12 PM in response to Phil0124

Yes, but i am considering eliminating my Fitbit tracker and using the Apple Watch to monitor my steps. I am reluctant to go ahead because I like the functionality of having the iPad to monitor weight/steps/nutrition when my iPhone is being otherwise used or not available.

i wonder give that MyFitnessPal and Fitbit have iPad versions, why is Apple unwilling to have its own health app usable on its own iPad hardware? (To other posters here: yes I realise the iPad won"t count the steps, I just want to be able to see the data on all my IOS devices.)

Thanks again Phil.

Jan 9, 2016 9:12 PM in response to tonyb2543

In order to use some of the functionality of the health app, you would need to walk around and be active while carrying your iPad. I'll guess Apple doesn't see that happening.

They could provide a modified version that would cover some functions.

I did see this while Googling the question. So things may change.

Apple's Health app leverages the iPhone's embedded motion sensing chip to passively track steps -- a chip iPads don't have. HealthKit can also integrate data from select Bluetooth LE-enabled heart monitors directly, while most other devices need to feed their collected data into HealthKit via their app.

iPads aren't going to be the leading form factor choice for feeding real-time heart rate data from a wearable, and Apple's decision to not include a passive activity tracking feature on the iPad is an understandable one. Apple's Health app, however, is mostly a dashboard that displays a variety of collected health data points and associated trend lines. That sort of user experience seems like an obvious fit for the iPad's larger screen.

The iPad could have also been a HealthKit access point for Android smartphone-toting patients at healthcare systems integrating their patient portals with Apple's Health.

Why is the Health app not available for iPad ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.