Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 Bass issue with soundbar

Hi,

I have the latest Apple TV 4 and a Bush sound-bar: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4122881.htm all plugged into a fairly old Panasonic TV (Viera HD-TV TX-L32S10BA). The sound-bar works perfectly with the Tivo playing Netflix and TV/movies and also works perfectly with the PS3 (again Netflix, games, iPlayer etc) yet using the new Apple TV we have intermittent bass problems. The sound-bar is connected using an Aux connection into the back of the TV and I've also tried just through the headphone jack too (the sound-bar doesn't have an optical input).

The problem is that intermittently the bass will drop out for a couple of seconds at a time producing a tinny sound and then it comes back again. It's almost as if the subwoofer stops working for a few seconds. This happens when streaming from iPlayer and Netflix and can also happen when streaming Spotify music to the TV using Airplay. It doesn't happen when renting a movie from iTunes using the Apple TV (or not that I can tell) and it doesn't seem to happen in the games I have on Apple TV.

It's quite off putting and means we either turn the sound-bar off or switch back to the PS3 to stream things at the moment which is a shame. I've tried a few things having read the forums:

• I've switched the audio output on the Apple TV to 16 bit
  • I've switched the audio from Auto to Dolby Surround
  • I've switched the audio from Auto to Stereo
  • I've tried a range of cables
  • I've tried plugging the Apple TV in with a brand new HDMI cable

None of these have made any difference. The final option would be that the sound-bar is bluetooth too, but the Apple TV cannot find it when in pairing mode (even though all my other iOS devices can) so I guess this isn't supported.

So I guess I'm just wondering, have I tried everything and is it up to the app developers to sort the audio or is there a problem with the Apple TV?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 5:41 AM

Does all the drop outs involve AirPlay? The reason I ask is because if it does, you could try increasing the audio level from your AirPlay source. My home theater system has a subwoofer which has an automatic low power mode. When the audio level of the source is low along with the audio level of the system for a long enough period, the subwoofer turns itself off and I get the same kind of cut outs.

Increasing the system volume seems to eliminate this drop out.

If you are using AirPlay, make sure the source audio is turned up and adjust the system volume via the TV or maybe try the opposite and reduce the source volume and increase the TV volume to test my idea out.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2016 5:41 AM in response to tidygraphic

Does all the drop outs involve AirPlay? The reason I ask is because if it does, you could try increasing the audio level from your AirPlay source. My home theater system has a subwoofer which has an automatic low power mode. When the audio level of the source is low along with the audio level of the system for a long enough period, the subwoofer turns itself off and I get the same kind of cut outs.

Increasing the system volume seems to eliminate this drop out.

If you are using AirPlay, make sure the source audio is turned up and adjust the system volume via the TV or maybe try the opposite and reduce the source volume and increase the TV volume to test my idea out.

Feb 1, 2016 1:35 PM in response to tidygraphic

Hey tidy, just read your post after your little introduction on my thread, it just occurred to me - there is an option there on the atv4 audio page re 'loud noise' or something along those lines (sorry, having a non apple problem here so can't use the atv at the mo to tell you the exact wording) and i know if you put it on, it decreases loud noise and tries to normalise everything. That could be the cause, its certainly worth flicking it from on to off, or vice versa, to see if that sorts it.

Give it a go and in the morning ill re-read everything you said and see if i can think of anything else 🙂

Apple TV 4 Bass issue with soundbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.