Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i remove MegaBackup

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 10:38 AM

7 replies

Jan 10, 2016 11:42 AM in response to Berthasa

First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them.

"MegaBackup" is either an untrustworthy cloud-storage application or perhaps actual malware. I haven't tried to make that distinction. To remove it, please start by backing up all data (not with MegaBackup itself, of course.) Then take the steps below.

1. Select the Login Items tab in the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences. Delete any items with a name beginning in "MegaBackup".

2. Log out or restart the computer.

3. Drag the MegaBackup application from the Applications folder to the Trash and empty.

Note that you can't delete any application by trying to drag its icon from the LaunchPad or the Dock. You must open the Applications folder in the Finder.

Jan 10, 2016 12:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them.

Apple in their OFFICIAL documentation does condone the use of AV applications making this statement in conflict with OFFICIAL Apple policy.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201675

The best course of action the user should take is to download Malwarebytes for Mac

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/

It is faster, simpler and more comprehensive than any other approach to adware/malware removal.

Ciao.

Jan 10, 2016 1:21 PM in response to Berthasa

The problem that you face in trying to find useful information on this site is that there are often differences of opinion, and often no easy way to distinguish between truth and falsehood (which is plentiful.) Fortunately, in this case, there is an easy way to make that distinction.

A link has been posted to an obsolete Apple Support page. That page, in turn, links to a "Macintosh Product Guide." The product guide hasn't existed for years, and the link now leads instead to a page about the Mac App Store.

Products in the App Store, though not endorsed by Apple, have met Apple's criteria for safety and can be considered safe enough for most purposes. So I suggest that you visit the App Store and search for "malwarebytes." If you find it, then by all means, use it. Otherwise, you'll know what to think of the advice you were given.

Feb 19, 2016 10:26 AM in response to Berthasa

Go to Activity Monitor and force quit every line that says MegaBackup or MegaBackup Agent. Then go to Launch pad and find the MegaBackup Icon and drag to trash can. If it wont drag to trashcan, I was able to drag to my downloads next to my trashcan. Then I dragged it from the downloads to trashcan. Then Uninstall message appears and proceed. Then empty your trashcan of the most annoying application and live peacefully. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.