Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MT7662 Bluedroid in Bluetooth Menu

After the holidays, I noticed a bolded listing for "MT7662 Bluedroid" in my Bluetooth menu, something with only a disconnect option (not that I ever allowed it to connect to begin with). If I disconnect it, it just reconnects five minutes later. My only really new devices in the house with Bluetooth is an Amazon Fire TV and an Apple TV 4G, but I have authorized neither to connect to my laptop and they do not show up as authorized devices in System Preferences (but shows up in the System Profile with no useful service information.

1) What is it?

2) Why is it bold?

3) Why is my MacBook pairing with it without my consent?

4) How do I stop that behavior with other devices?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 4:33 PM

The same thing is happening on my iPhone. It's happening when I'm at work. I look and I see my phone is connected to a device called MT7662 Bluedroid. Is something I need to worry about?

8 replies

Jul 14, 2017 2:05 PM in response to Timothy Jazz

I talked to Apple Support and there is a fix, but it's a bit complicated. It is for sure Amazon Fire TV related (while I don't own one, I live in Seattle so everyone else does), but, what I experienced is the constant re-connect and dis-connect caused my mouse to disconnect often as well, so it is worth fixing.

1. Pull up Terminal and enter": sudo plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/com (enter password when asked)

2. Put that aside for now. Hold down Option and click on the Bluetooth drop-down, and highlight the mean bluetooth item, then write down the address (i.e. 49-59-15-F1-86-41)

3. Download a text editing tool called BBEdit https://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

4. In Finder, go to Go > Go to folder, and type in "/Library/Preferences" then open com.apple.Bluetooth.plist with BBEdit

5. Scroll down to the very bottom and just before the 2nd to last line </dict>, type this in where the address is whatever the address is on your side:

<key>IgnoredDevices</key>

<array>

<string>49-59-15-F1-86-41</string>

</array>

6. Save that file - and it may say something about permissions, but just go ahead. If you re-open it, that text may be moved up automatically in the plist - so if you need to add an additional device, just copy/paste the string line.

7. GO back to Terminal and enter sudo plutil -convert binary1 /Library/Preferences/com; then restart.

You may need to repeat this as in my case, there were 3 Fire's in range.

Jan 21, 2016 11:59 AM in response to Timothy Jazz

1. It is the FireTV 2nd gen (4k) which is using a MediaTek 7662 chipset for WiFi and BT

2. It is bold because it is connected

3. Not sure, mine has done this as well

4. No idea, other than disabling BT on the MBP

Sure seems odd that something that isn't paired is connected...

It doesn't show in BT prefs on the Mac but it is in the BT area in System Information:

Devices (Paired, Configured, etc.):

MT7662 Bluedroid:

Address: 74-B8-10-64-E4-DA

Random Address: Yes

Resolvable Address: Yes

Services:

Paired: No

Configured: No

Connected: Yes

Class of Device: Low Energy

AFH: On

AFH Map: ffffffff1f

RSSI: -56

Role: Peripheral

Connection Mode: Active Mode

Interval: 0 ms

Mar 13, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Timothy Jazz

I noticed the same problem today on my 2014 rMBP. I had one device connected, MT7662 Bluedroid, but I have no idea what it is. I immediately disconnected it it, reset and then turned off bluetooth altogether. Devices in the area would be a Mac, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, Apple TV 4, and Amazon Fire TV 2 and thats it. I don't own any droid devices, never have.

Anyone know whats going on here? Is my computer being hacked via bluetooth or something?

Apr 26, 2016 1:25 AM in response to Timothy Jazz

Same issue here -- I just noticed that I have a bluetooth device connected to my iMac called M27662 Bluedroid. There are definitely no android devices in our apartment. I didn't even know it was possible to connect a bluetooth device without granting permission first. The device does not show in the bluetooth preferences panel so I'm at a loss as to how to delete the pairing or find out any extra information about it. Any help would be much appreciated!

MT7662 Bluedroid in Bluetooth Menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.