Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peer-to-Peer Airplay on Apple TV 4

I just bought the Apple TV 4 mostly because I wanted the peer-to-peer airplay feature that I heard so much about on the newest revision of the Apple TV 3. I figured the Apple TV 4 would have the same features and more as that older model, but I can't seem to get the peer-to-peer airplay feature to work.

My preferred setup:

• Apple TV4 connected via Ethernet along with all of my other stationary devices to Wireless 8-Port Gigabit Router on network
  • All mobile devices are on WiFi.
  • All devices are on the same network and can use airplay just fine

A friend comes over with an iPhone, friend is not on my network but wants to stream some pictures to my Apple TV 4, but can't. Why Not!?!?!? Shouldn't a simple peer-to-peer (direct) wifi device (Apple TV 4) appear for my friend.

I tried disconnecting the Apple TV 4's Ethernet and took it completely off the network but nothing.

Is this a bug? will it be fixed? or should I try to find a Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469)

iPhone 6, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 10, 2016 8:07 PM

6 replies

Jan 10, 2016 8:53 PM in response to ckuan

No one would just cut in. There would be a password/passcode for anyone joining directly to the apple TV from outside the trusted network. The Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469) already does this.

Other devices like my Roku 3 can do this too.

If anyone knows if the Apple TV 4 has a different setup requirement or if it's a known bug that will hopefully be fixed, please let me know.

Jan 10, 2016 9:45 PM in response to Kozanator

I had never personally used it but my friend came over last weekend and wanted to show vacation pictures. I was about to give him my network login when he saw I had ATV and said no worries and just connected right up. Seeing this thread lead me to test it out myself. Sure enough, turned off wifi and was still able to select my living room ATV4 for AirPlay. Since I "forgot" my wifi network I know it wasn't homeshare...

Although you don't actually connect to a wifi network, you need to enable both wifi and Bluetooth then swipe up to AirPlay...

Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jan 10, 2016 9:47 PM in response to Protodd

After reading Protodd's response and playing around with the every OS setting... I FOUND THE ANSWER :-)

PATIENCE :-( duh :-x

It turns out that when I click the Airplay button on my iOS device (which isn't on the same network), it takes a good 10 seconds or longer for the Apple TV to appear as an option to airplay to.

I thought that one of my other wifi networks (Guest Network), which is not attached to my main network was causing conflict. But, that wasn't the case. I just wasn't patient enough.

So, just make sure that your wifi is on and your bluetooth is on. If your device happens to be connected to a different wifi network, it doesn't matter. It will still work.

I had tvos 9.1 on my Apple TV4 and ios 9.2 on my iPhone 6 and other ios devices.

Cheers, thanks :-)

Patience is a virtue

Peer-to-Peer Airplay on Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.