Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change keyboard layout on iPad

iPad 3. iOS 9.0.2

The present keyboard layout is QWERTY but I need to change it to AZERTY accented. I did this in "General", "Keyboard", "keyboards", "French", "accented AZERTY" and got a tick against that choice

This didn't work (the onscreen keyboard remained QWERTY even after turning the device off and on again) so I changed the country to France (in addition) but this still didn't work. What else should I do?

Also, is the accented AZERTY the same as I have on my Windows laptop with about 15 symbols (|☺ ~^ µ ² etc) which are not on a QWERTY keyboard?

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2, apple virgin

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

Sep 15, 2016 7:00 AM in response to don'tsayno

The question about the accented AZERTY keyboard puzzled me, too. But then I noticed this punctuation key on the bottom right.

User uploaded file

I began pressing and holding all the symbol keys to see what they did. I found this…

User uploaded file

…surprise! All characters which already show up when one presses the letter keys? What's up with that?

Check out the final unaccented 'e' in puzzle. Now watch what happens after releasing that bottom right key…

User uploaded file

Voilà! Now it has an umlaut it didn't have before …without deleting and retyping it from scratch!! That's the only difference between that. AZERTY and the AZERTY accented keyboards.

How to change keyboard layout on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.