Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed new hard drive into my mid 2010 macbook pro 17" snow leopard intel i5 machine, how do I partition it to install osx from original dvd installation disc? how many partitions? what sizes?

My Macbook pro mid 2010 17" crashed after installing mountain lion on it, then I was locked out of my drive. I ultimately had to use an old backup, but it was from the original snow leopard and apparently the partitions are different which is maybe why mountain lion crashed the system. The old backup worked for a while, but now my computer won't boot, not even with the original dvd. I bought a new hard drive because disk utilities could not repair the old one. Now, I don't know how to get the os x installed and running on my new hard drive. Every time I put the disc in, it either ejects or causes a gray curtain to lower over the screen and tells me to restart. I finally got to online recovery and selected the option to reinstall my os x online, but would only offer el capitan. that stopped at the "select a drive" part because no drive showed up to select from. I cleared out the pram, and it gave me the chime finally at reboot and asked for the language. I selected the language then the gray curtain lowered again. So I pressed option and restarted and got to the disk utility to erase the new drive, but it needs to be properly partitioned. How do I know the sizes of partitions Snow Leopard needs in order to install?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), intel i5

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 3:16 AM

1 reply

Jan 11, 2016 7:49 AM in response to ATG111

If you aren't planning to run any OS but Snow Leopard, you don't need to partition the drive. If you are planning to install other OS versions, more information would help.

Partition size requirements also depend on the amount of data to be stored on the partition.

CD/DVD Loading Problems

CD/DVD Drive - Troubleshooting See troubleshooting section.

CD/DVD Drive - Troubleshooting (2)

Installed new hard drive into my mid 2010 macbook pro 17" snow leopard intel i5 machine, how do I partition it to install osx from original dvd installation disc? how many partitions? what sizes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.