Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just reformatted and installed 10. Tried to upgrade to 10.8.6 and all I get is a white screen. Help please.

Imac 2009 27", just reformatted and loaded OSX via DVD. Upgraded via Apple update to 10.8.6 and all I get is a white screen. Only solution I have found so far is reformatting and loading via DVD again. Someone smarter than me help please. I'm an idiotic when it comes to Apple. I grew up on Windows. This is my son's older system and now my wife uses it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x), imac 2009 27"

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 5:22 AM

3 replies

Jan 12, 2016 8:25 AM in response to rlynch1963

Did you try the troubleshooting steps in the last 3 links? To upgrade past 10.6, you need access to the App Store so you can download the OS. If you have access to another Mac, sign into the App Store with your Apple ID and you can download El Capitan. Use the program below to make a bootable USB Flash Drive. You can then boot off the USB and erase the drive, then install the OS.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

You will probably needto add RAM. The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

Just reformatted and installed 10. Tried to upgrade to 10.8.6 and all I get is a white screen. Help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.