Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G4 Won't Mount DVDs in OS X

I have a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) and when I insert an OS X Leopard install DVD, it won't come up on the desktop. It spins in the drive, but it doesn't mount. The CD drive does not show at all in Disk Utility. I replaced the drive, but that didn't fix it.

What's strange is that the open firmware recognizes the DVD fine. It comes up if I hold option while booting. The drive won't mount or show ANY CD'S OR DVD'S if the computer is on.

It's currently running 10.4.11.

Thank you!🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 16GB RAM, 15", 512GB SSD.

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 6:58 AM

12 replies

Jan 11, 2016 9:20 AM in response to LukeLindblom

Older Power Macs can have problems with certain brand DVD-ROM/±R/±RW drives. Pioneer, Toshiba, and NEC drives seemed to have better compatibility. Other no-name brands didn't fare as well. Keep in mind that you must use the retail/universal installer disk that was designed for PowerPC and Intel processors, if you wish to attempt to install Leopard on the G4. A Restore disk from a newer, Intel processor-based Mac won't work.

Jan 11, 2016 12:10 PM in response to LukeLindblom

I would think that you should see them. There were drivers for certain types of dvd drive [ I seem to remember. ] I never looked into this much, but I started having problems with my external dvd drive on my iMac g3 600 running 10.4.11.

You have verified that you want to show dvds on the desktop? I do not think this is the problem but it never hurts to check.

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2016 6:42 PM in response to rccharles

Thank you. I just figured that out the hard way, after the G4 wouldn't boot off the USB.

I took the hard drive out and connected it through a USB cable to the iMac G5 and booted the G5 off the Leopard DVD. The G5 is now installing Leopard on the G4's hard drive, although very slowly because it's over USB. Once it's done, I'll put the HD back in the G4. This will work, right?

Thank you for your hep!

Sorry for the delayed response. I suddenly got this:

User uploaded file

Jan 11, 2016 7:17 PM in response to LukeLindblom

I'm not certain I understand the objective. I thought you were wondering why the dvd didn't show up on your desktop.

Since the dvd shows up in the startup manager, did you try to boot the dvd?

There is a way to use the g5 dvd reader as a dvd drive. Somehow you set this up in target disk mode on the g5, I think

You could try target disk mode if you have another mac around.
http://www.dan-taylor.com/reinstalling-mac-os-x-without-a-dvd-drive-target-disk- mode/

cd sharing across ethernet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

Normally, you need to boot up the disk to complete the installation, i seem to recall. You could place the drive back in the g5 and boot there. Not sure if g5 installations work in g4's.

R

Jan 12, 2016 10:32 AM in response to LukeLindblom

So I am assuming that since my PowerPC iMac can not install OS X on USB hard drive, it can't boot up from one either?

Oh... you can I believe install on a usb drive, but you cannot boot. I forget exactly how the install goes. You need to boot the dvd to install. Once once the software is copied, the installation software will attempt to boot from the disk. This will fail.

So, install. then move the drive. boot.

R

Power Mac G4 Won't Mount DVDs in OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.