Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound with Apple TV 2016

My friend just bought an Apple TV. Every time we go to play a video there is no audio. All the sound levels are set appropriately. There is no muting. The computer also seems to be affected. After I disconnect to troubleshoot, I can't hear the audio on the computer.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 10:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2016 10:53 AM in response to Jane Lurie2

Are you air playing from a computer? are you home sharing locally? Are you streaming? are you using a native app on the ATV? What generation ATV do you have? Is it all apps/movies or just select apps/movies? Do you have it connected to stereo? Is the result different if you use TV speakers only?

Devil is in the details in order for the community to understand the issue your experiencing and provide actionable tips/suggestions...

Jan 11, 2016 11:06 AM in response to Protodd

We tried with several computers and an iPad, with different OS's. Each time there was a problem with the audio. Sometimes when we restarted the computer it would work. But we never got sound right off when we played. It feels like an Apple TV issue because it happens across different OS's and devices.

I am at a friend's house. We just took the Apple TV out of the box and followed the set-up. This is what I did with my own last generation Apple TV and I never had any problem. I am sorry that right now I can't give any more details because I am doing something else right now. I thought I would ask the question and see if this was a common problem with the new Apple TV. I will be back later to check. Maybe this problem is unique here.

Jan 11, 2016 11:16 AM in response to Jane Lurie2

It sounds like a network issue or local interference rather than a device issue. For example, people have noted interference from a cable/satellite box if the ATV was placed near/on top of it. Others have found issues with ISP network configuration and/or router settings...

I would check the router to verify IPv6 is disabled as well as checking firewall. We all have various routers, software network setup so just because one device works doesn't necessarily rule out connectivity issues...

Its certainly not a "common" issue but that doesn't mean there aren't others that have similar symptoms as with any device we add to our various setups there can always be a one off issue. But just like doctors tell us not to self diagnose by walking into the emergency room waiting area, we should take a similar approach when trying to troubleshoot technical issues...

one thing I have seen people do for a test is to use their iPhone hotspot feature - connect ATV and computer to the iPhone hotspot And take the local network out of the equation. That will help isolate if it's device or network related...

Jan 11, 2016 12:03 PM in response to Jane Lurie2

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

No sound with Apple TV 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.