Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

attachments not downloading in iMessage on mac

I'm using a two year old mac book pro with El Capitain, 10.11.2. On my mac in iMessage, photos aren't downloading. The photos download like always on my mobile devices, but not on the mac. This is a new problem ...worked fine for years.

See attached photos. The first shows the messages from sender ...normally the photo would just be there. The second shows what you get if you double click on the message. Note when I click the download button, I just get a noise from my computer rejecting the command.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 3:47 PM

9 replies

Jan 11, 2016 4:08 PM in response to scanegi

Please quit Messages if it's running.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Messages

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder should open. Inside it, there should be a subfolder named "Attachments" (without the quotes.) If that subfolder doesn't exist, create it. Launch Messages and test.

Mar 2, 2016 11:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hello. I have the same problem

Two days ago I can't receive attachments in imessage on mac.

On iPhone everything is ok

I've read messages above.

Folder attachments exist. I log out from imessage, then restart mac.

Then login in iMessage again

If I send photo to myself - everything is ok, I can see it, but if my wife send photo to me - I can see on mac only file name (on iPhone everything works)

Mar 3, 2016 12:25 AM in response to scanegi

Hello. I have the same problem

Two days ago I can't receive attachments in imessage on mac.

On iPhone everything is ok

I've read messages above.

Folder attachments exist. I log out from imessage, then restart mac.

Then login in iMessage again

If I send photo to myself - everything is ok, I can see it, but if my wife send photo to me - I can see on mac only file name (on iPhone everything works)

Now I deleted folder Attachments and create it again. It doesn't help.

The same problem - If I send photo to myself - everything is ok, I can see it, but if my wife send photo to me - I can see on mac only file name (on iPhone everything works)

Folder exists:

User uploaded file

In iMessage on mac Attachments look like:

User uploaded file

attachments not downloading in iMessage on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.