Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server presents wrong certificate

Greetings. I've just set up OS X server to host shared (non-iCloud) calendars, reminders, and contacts. We have a wildcard certificate for our domain purchased from a certificate authority. I have installed that authority's cert in Keychain Access and pointed to the wildcard cert and key under "Certificates." This is the only cert that OS X Server uses.

Sharing works OK, but there's problem with push notifications via an external mail server. Via packet captures and logs, it seems OS X server still presents "hostname.local" instead of the wildcard cert during the SSL/TLS handshake. If I disable SSL for push notifications (both send and receive), notifications work OK. So, I think the wrong cert is the problem here.

How to get OS X Server to present the wildcard cert for both SMTP and IMAPS connections?

If it matters, under System Preferences/Sharing, this system only has "hostname.local" set. I have not set up a FQDN and do not run a DNS server on this machine. If an FQDN is needed here, please advise on how to set it up.

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 4:17 PM

There are no replies.

OS X Server presents wrong certificate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.