Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K Target Display Mode (TDM) Solution

I just purchased a new 27" iMac 5K and was excited to use it until i got home and found out that TDM is not supported on the new iMac. it is so important to me that i considered returning it. i have a Macbook Air that i have used with a thunderbolt cable to view it on my 27" iMac as i need access to both computers all day. i thought i was a rarity but come to find out many of you are on the same boat and from what I'm reading many people are either holding off purchasing an iMac or returning theirs because TDM is that important.

Anyway the solution is really simple and it will cost you 20 bucks, but well worth it. I actually like this better because now i can still use the same keyboard and mouse.

Step 1. Download SwitchresX on your laptop http://www.madrau.com/srx_download/download.html

Step 2. Change the resolution on laptop to 2560 X 1440

Step 3. Connect a thunderbolt from your iMac to your laptop. (this should immediately show your Macbook Under shared in finder)

Step 4. click on Share Screen

Step 5. login with your laptop username and password.

there is very little to no lag and this is better for me than 2 keyboards and 2 mice and having to switch using Command+F2. you can try my method free with a 10 day trial for switchesx

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), null

Posted on Jan 11, 2016 10:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 4:53 AM

Hi, Thanks for this topic.

I am thinking of returning the Imac 5K for this disadvantage. I tried to use the Switchresx, it works ... but there is a delay.

Think, my macbook-imac 5k are just connected over Wifi so I have a lag. When I disconnect the Wifi the screens are no longer shared. I do not connect them just by thunderbolt, though, although I have them connected by the cable.

Any idea? Thanks!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 4:53 AM in response to Alex2543

Hi, Thanks for this topic.

I am thinking of returning the Imac 5K for this disadvantage. I tried to use the Switchresx, it works ... but there is a delay.

Think, my macbook-imac 5k are just connected over Wifi so I have a lag. When I disconnect the Wifi the screens are no longer shared. I do not connect them just by thunderbolt, though, although I have them connected by the cable.

Any idea? Thanks!

Apr 19, 2017 11:01 AM in response to Alex2543

I really want to buy a 5k Imac for my 2016 MacBook Pro Touch but there's no support for Target Display Mode. I know the new MacBook Pro can drive 2 5K monitor so why not enable the Target Display Mode? I guess back to Ebay or Amazon to hunt for 2010 Imac. Alot of people don't know 2009-2010 Imac was the must have Mac to buy you can connect your Apple TV, Mac mini, Mac Pro's, Playstation, Xbox natively as a monitor.

May 22, 2017 1:02 PM in response to Alex2543

You don't need to buy new software, in some cases. This worked for me with an iMac 5K and a Mac mini: First make sure each machine has screen sharing turned on and firewalls turned off. Also, temporarily log them out of your wifi network or they may default to that. Connect the two machines with a Thunderbolt cable. Give each machine it's own manually fixed IP address, such as 10.0.1.4 and 10.0.1.5. in the Thunderbolt Bridge pane of network settings under System Preferences. Don't duplicate the IP address of any other machines you may have. Use the same subset mask, such as 255.255.255.0 (I'm no expert on subnet masks so see what your machines have been using before this). Now go to the Finder's "Go" menu and select "Connect to Server." In the address field put vnc://(supply the second IP address without spaces) and proceed. You should now be able to screen share. Note: I did have to borrow a keyboard, mouse and a cheap 19" screen to first set up the Mac mini obviously, since it doesn't come with these things).

Jun 15, 2017 10:15 PM in response to Jeffrey Perlman

I have followed this instructions before, when I do the thunderbolt bridge I can ping the ip of my iMac from my Mac laptop, but I can't ping the ip of my laptop from my iMac. Same situation for the screen sharing, I can screen share my iMac to my laptop but not the other way around which is what I want. I verified ips are manually assigned on the same subnet, no firewall on both sides, but still doesn't work.

By the way, this required me to buy $29 thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt cable and $49 thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.

iMac 5K Target Display Mode (TDM) Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.