Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil constantly losing connection

HI everyone.

Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this problem. My apple pencil works fine for about five minutes, then stops working and has to be re-synced with my iPad . The Bluetooth settings are saying that it's still connected, but it doesn't work until it's re synced. I have tried switching Bluetooth on and off, I have also tried "forget device" in the Bluetooth options then reattached. I have also tried restarting and hard resetting my iPad, I also made sure that the pencil is charged and the tip is crewed on. Nothing has worked yet. Any suggestions or fellow sufferers out there?

many thanks in advance for any input

dave

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), null

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 11:51 AM

Hi

Ive an issue with my Apple Pencil not connecting after my iPad has been "sleeping" it has happened about 5 times now, need to reinsert into the lightning port to get it to reconnect

23 replies

Sep 8, 2016 4:59 PM in response to Michael Bennewitz

ok I think I have a somewhat tolerable workaround until I get the replacement.

It seems that if, after the Pencil cuts out, if I close the iPad cover and open it again the Pencil is working again. I just tried it about three times and each time it worked. Of course the Pencil cuts out every few minutes, so it's still maddening, but at least I might be able to tolerate working like this until the replacement comes. I wanted to share the workaround here.

Oct 4, 2017 2:57 AM in response to macmonkey1975

I had an iPad Pro, bought a pencil, synced it once, never had to sync it again. I only connected it to charge. The iPad’s screen cracked, it was considered a defect. I got a new one, I constantly have to reconnect the pencil for it to work. Not happy at all. I was always able to check battery % for my pencil on my first iPad, now I just watch the battery status disappear from my second iPad.

Oct 4, 2017 8:24 PM in response to macmonkey1975

I am also having the same exact issue! It is frustrating. I want up to the Apple Store and they replaced the pencil, it worked for 5 minutes (enough time for them to show me it worked and send me on my way) and now it doesn’t work...I am on my third Pencil...thinking it was faulty pencils. I would love a solution. I specifically bought the 12.9 iPad Pro to use the $99 pencil...

Jan 19, 2016 1:03 PM in response to macmonkey1975

Just wanted to follow up, and say if you are having the same issue, it's best to get in touch with apple support as it is very likely that you have a faulty unit.

To make sure that it wasn't my iPad that was faulty I attached another Bluetooth device which worked with no problems. In my case I actually found that if I shook the pencil vigorously for a couple of seconds that it started working again, so it seems like it was probably a dodgy motion sensor.

Anyways, I received my new pencil yesterday, and it is working flawlessly... Happy days !!

Sep 8, 2016 11:21 AM in response to macmonkey1975

I'm posting here because I hit this same issue yesterday, about 10 months into heavy use with the pencil.

It stays paired and connected, it just cuts out and won't draw or even navigate the screen. It was getting bad yesterday, only working for five seconds at a time. The weird thing is sometimes it starts working again. Today it worked for about 10 minutes before cutting out. Apple has no idea and is replacing the pencil. Which is great but also ***** because I'm in the middle of a drawing project on the iPad pro.

Sep 8, 2016 12:00 PM in response to Michael Bennewitz

HI Michael

my issue was resolved, I spoke to apple support and they advised that when you turn your iPad off the Apple Pencil goes into "sleep" mode to save batteries so you have to put it back into the iPad to "wake' it

on your issue, have you made sure the tip is on properly, I've heard of times where the tip works slightly loose and can stop it working ??

Sep 8, 2016 4:37 PM in response to x19apm

Thanks.

Thats not it though.

The iPad is not going to sleep. It cuts out when I'm actively using the devices for drawing. Mid stroke.

And yeah, thanks but tightening the tip is Apple Pencil 101. I've been using the thing heavily for almost a year, so yeah, I've encountered that issue and of course it's the first thing to try.

It's just weird. It worked flawlessly for 10 months or so and then all of a sudden cuts out. While I was in the Apple Store today it worked for about 10 minutes at a time before cutting out. We tried every one of Apple's suggestions and Apple didn't know what to make of it so they are replacing the pencil.

The weirdest thing of all though is that it stays connected, and if I let it rest for some ambiguous amount of time, I pick it up and it draws again, without plugging it into the iPad in between.

man I really hope I don't have to buy a new Pencil every year...

Apple pencil constantly losing connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.