Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 Powering on TV, Screen Saver Failing to Launch, Damaging Plasma TV

The new 4th generation Apple TV is randomly powering on our TV via its new HMDI-CEC capabilities for some reason. When it does this, it’s also failing to launch it's screen saver, and it's somehow keeping our TV from automatically turning back off from inactivity, probably via HDMI-CEC again I’m guessing. This has damaged our plasma TV and caused "burn in" off the Apple TV home screen on our TV.

I’ve found numerous posts online from other 4th generation Apple TV users complaining about the new Apple TV randomly turning on their TV. Have other people found that the screen saver is also failing to load and the the Apple TV is keeping their TV locked on? Have other plasma TV owners found that this has damaged their TV?

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 9:28 AM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2017 11:49 PM in response to Duke126

Hi Duke, last week I plugged in my 9 month old Apple TV 4 into a 55" TCL(which I have been doing for months), after about 50 mins picture on TCL became distorted and washed out, and a message appeared on TV screen to restore Apple TV, this I did. However TCL screen is now not working - and in for repair. After restoring the Apple TV box - I then plugged it into my second TCL 55" after about same time screen turned black and this TV is now not working. I am in the process of dealing with Apple over the issue - and have been assured by Apple they have no other recorded issues like this. Its strange 2 TV's both now with screen issues after being connected to the Apple TV 4th generation - anybody else had this issue.

Apple TV 4 Powering on TV, Screen Saver Failing to Launch, Damaging Plasma TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.