Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of an "accept incoming network connections" popup

Ever since upgrading to El Capitan, I'm receiving a popup message asking "Do you want the "???.app" to accept incoming network connections? with a yellow triangle containing an exclamation point.

User uploaded file

This is popping up with multiple applications. I've searched through all of the system settings and cannot find any way of turning this off. Anwering either Deny or Allow still results in it popping up again and again when the application is restarted. Any idea how to disable this?

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 2:14 PM

The specific option is managed by your Security Preferences (as indicated by the message): System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Firewall.

Under Firewall Options you have the ability to control/deny incoming connections to individual apps.

The brute force approach to stopping the messages would be to disable the firewall completely, but that may not be preferable. Instead it may be sufficient to add Word to the list of permitted apps (although it's not clear to me at the moment why Word would need incoming connections, nor why granting access doesn't populate this list).

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2016 2:14 PM in response to Labdoc

The specific option is managed by your Security Preferences (as indicated by the message): System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Firewall.

Under Firewall Options you have the ability to control/deny incoming connections to individual apps.

The brute force approach to stopping the messages would be to disable the firewall completely, but that may not be preferable. Instead it may be sufficient to add Word to the list of permitted apps (although it's not clear to me at the moment why Word would need incoming connections, nor why granting access doesn't populate this list).

Nov 18, 2016 3:19 AM in response to Camelot

I have Word enabled to receive incoming connections (green dot against it in System prefs>Firewall>options).

User uploaded file

But still, every time I open it, I get this annoying pop up as shown above by LabDoc.

I can't see any reason why Word wants these incoming connections, so I say deny, and the box goes away. But it comes up again the next time I use Word.

If I say "accept" the box goes away but comes back again the next time I use Word.

It's getting on my nerves.

This has only happened to me since the most recent update of OSX, Version 10.12.1 Sierra.

How do I prevent the pop-up?

Nov 18, 2016 2:57 PM in response to tygb

Yes, but the problem we're having is that we click "trust", and the program in question then appears in the list as "allow," but we're STILL asked every time if we want to allow it. I get this for iTunes, Rosetta Stone, and Dukto. Even though I've said Allow every time, and they all show up as allowed.

This is a MacOs bug. I've filed a report, but it's still happening under Sierra (it started, for me, under Yosemite if i remember correctly).

Oct 28, 2016 11:47 AM in response to Labdoc

Hello !

Please open system preferences > security & privacy > open the pad lock by entering admin name & password .

Click on firewall > firewall options ,select the box block all incoming connections .

You can follow the screen shot settings , the reasons are given in it , and that are self explanatory.

User uploaded file

Thanks !

Jul 16, 2017 2:20 AM in response to Camelot

Hi Camelot

I do have the same issue as LabDoc using a network scanner (Canon MX925).

All Canon utilities are authorised in the firewall panel - as you seem to present that as the solution.

Unfortunately, that option will not make the "confirmation" message to appear.

This is particularly cumbersome as the scanner is not in the same room as the mac... so I need to run between both devices to feed the scanner and then allow the incoming connection, and back for the next scan, ...

would you have other hints ?

Jan 16, 2016 11:31 AM in response to Camelot

I continue to get this message EVERY TIME I start up my Mac. It's not for iTunes or Word, but I get it for my Logitech mouse and when I launch Hearthstone. Both of these apps have exceptions in my Firewall pane. I've set them to always allow, always block, deleted them, re-added them, it doesn't matter. I get the alert EVERY TIME since El Capitan.

OS version 10.11.1

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Oct 28, 2016 11:07 AM in response to Chris Beckwith

EXACT SAME here. Every time I launch iTunes or Dukto, I'm asked whether to allow or deny connections. In the firewall preferences, I see that both are set to "allow".

Additionally, iTunes complains that my "firewall settings prevent [me] from using some iTunes features." But walking through the steps listed, a) there's nothing for me to change, and b) it still complains.

El Capitan 10.11.6

Nov 18, 2016 8:29 AM in response to peter jaques

it is clearly written in the screen shot : if you check the box block all incoming connections - you can. use basic internet services like internet protocol security , Dynamic host control protocol and Bonjour .

And if stealth mode is enabled : there are less chances that some one could ping via network using internet control message protocol ( ICMP ) .

An article for stealth mode : macOS Sierra: Prevent others from discovering your Mac

One more article is there for your question why this pop - up appears you can read it : macOS Sierra: Prevent unwanted connections by using a firewall

Thanks !

Nov 18, 2016 9:23 AM in response to tygb

I have the same problem as Peter Jaques - see my query above.

All the incoming network connections are "allowed" in the Firewall options box (all green).

Despite this, Word repeatedly shows a box giving me the option to "allow" or "deny" incoming connections.

If I were to block all incoming connections, this would not solve the problem.

The problem seems to be that Word is ignoring the "allow" settings in the Firewall options box, or somehow not seeing them, and so keeps asking - every single time I use it.

The pop-up box appears every time I use Word, whatever the settings of the Firewall options.

This is very annoying.

How can I stop the pop-up box appearing?

Nov 18, 2016 11:26 AM in response to Alizarine

Yes you can uncheck block all incoming connections and stealth mode and can check rest of two options .

So , for the safety reason this pop - up appears would you like to deny or allow and its asking your permission .

I will give an example if one use adobe flash payer , and internet plugins are on , WEBGL is set ask , when ever youtube is opened , it will ask permission from the user would like to deny , trust , so we click on trust .

Nov 18, 2016 12:42 PM in response to tygb

Unfortunately I don't know how to fix the continuous prompting to allow the incoming connections.

But I think I know why Word asks each time you launch it. As I recall, Word is checking to see how many other users in your local network are also running Word. The single user license lets just one user in a household run Word at a time.

The Word license check is done by attempting to connect to other computers in your local network looking for any others that are currently running Word.

This may be the reason you are seeing this connection request for Word.

Nov 19, 2016 10:25 AM in response to peter jaques

This is a MacOs bug. I've filed a report, but it's still happening under Sierra (it started, for me, under Yosemite if i remember correctly).

For me, it started with Sierra.

Well done submitting a bug report. Would it help if I supported your bug report as in "I have this problem too"?

If so, can you post a link to the bug report?

Best wishes, and let's hope they fix it.

How to get rid of an "accept incoming network connections" popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.