Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10: BCM43xx S3 resume firmware initialization problem (MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014)

Hel!o!

Seems to be there is a serious bug in BCM43xx adapter firmware (MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014) resulting in failed S3 resume initialization (wake-up from Sleep) under Windows 10.

Detection algorithm:

1. Using Device Manager completely uninstall Broadcom 802.11ac network driver with option "Delete the driver software for the device".

2. Press "Scan for hardware changes" button to detect device instance named as "Network Adapter" and select "View" -> "Show hidden devices" from menu, so you can see only one "Network Adapter" device.

3. Put your computer into sleep mode by selecting "Power" -> "Sleep" from start menu and some times later resume it by pressing space bar for eg. Now you can see another detected (duplicated) "Network Adapter" device instance as active, but the first one becomes inactive. This is because failed adapter firmware initialization on S3 resume.

4. Reboot your computer, open Device Manager again with "View" -> "Show hidden devices" option to see (vice versa) the first "Network Adapter" device instance as active, but another one (duplicated) becomes inactive. As a result you always have annoying problem with wi-fi network connection after sleep mode until reboot.

Of course you can repeat steps with Broadcom 802.11ac network driver installed, it doesn't matter, because the Apple should provide us with firmware update to solve this hardware problem.

Any other ideas?

Best Regards.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 1:33 PM

46 replies

Jan 12, 2016 4:45 PM in response to Loner T

As far as I already described above, the Broadcom wireless driver was completely removed to perform clear test for just device (no driver) initialization and detection to avoid confusion. Device initialization test passed with "Power-On", "Reboot" and "Resume from Hibernate" modes, but this test failed with "Wake-Up from Sleep" mode, so I got duplicated "Network Adapter" instances for one physical device. It looks like the adapter firmware doesn't perform correctly EFI specification S3 Resume algorithm that results in failed hardware device initialization. In this case I have no idea except the Apple should provide firmware update to correct this serious hardware issue.

It would be interesting also to get reports on test (in the first post) from the MacBook Pro late 2013 users, and probably from MacBook Pro 2015 users as well.

Jan 13, 2016 4:39 AM in response to Loner T

Here is it. In addition I have attached test report in pictures with the latest available Broadcom driver 7.35.338.0 and without driver also http://rghost.net/6B4Km6CD6

powercfg.exe /A

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hybrid Sleep

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Jan 13, 2016 10:40 AM in response to Loner T

Looking at "Device Manager" window as well I can say that only second instance of device initialization successful, but why not the first one? I don't have the full project of Apple EFI for my platform, so I guess the right way to address such questions to the Apple Engineers. For example, I don't know why Apple still use old Intel ME firmware v9.0.5.1367 while v9.0.50.1022 is the newest one for Haswel microarchitecture. Even better, Intel released ME v9.1.37.1002 (for Broadwel and Haswell) to support ME Software v11.0 for the Windows 10 launch http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-Sys tem-Tools-101.html#msg19370 and http://www.win-raid.com/t832f39-Intel-Converged-Security-Engine-Firmware-Reposit ory.html

Most of problems could be solved better by keeping EFI and its OEM components firmware up to date, than by dreaming about bugs. In my opinion, if I pay gorgeous price to Apple then I consider to get reciprocal support. Is it right condition?

Jan 27, 2016 2:54 PM in response to Loner T

This problem is independent of an operating system because the device initialization is incorrect after S3 resume (wake up from sleep).
Could you provide a firmware update to solve this issue?

Adapter details from MAC OS X El Capitan v10.11.3:

Card Type: Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x134)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.94.136.1a1)

Jan 27, 2016 5:14 PM in response to Loner T

Its a hardware problem from manufacturer that probably could be fixed by firmware update. The "EFI and firmware" must report single device instance for single Broadcom Wireless network adapter (NOT TWICE!) after S3 resume (wake up from sleep) , no matter which operation system is booted. I discussed this situation with Nikolaj Schlej (Software Engineer BIOS) http://www.win-raid.com/u464_CodeRush.html and he completely agreed with my investigations. You could invite him to discussion if you need. I think the Apple must solve this hardware problem.

Jan 28, 2016 4:20 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote: "On the OSX side, the same adapter and EFI and firmware seems to wake-from-sleep correctly".

Are you sure?! So what do you say on this Re: Slow WiFi issues after 10.10.2 or this Re: Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13'' Wifi Issues ?

Absolutely the same symptoms, and I should repeat it's a hardware problem from manufacturer. Also I provided exact explanation with 100% reproducible test, and pictures. What more do you (the Apple) need to solve this problem for valued customers?

Jan 28, 2016 5:38 AM in response to softhive

1. If you disable sleep/hibernate in Windows, do you get a single instance, after you close/re-open the lid of the MBP? W7/W8.1+ have a lot of bugs in Sleep/Hibernate area. I have seen PnP Failures. There is a very long thread about SD Cards being lost after Sleep/Wake.

2. The second set of links are related to speed, not really a wake-sleep/issue. These issues could stem from environmental issues, they could be hardware issues, they could also be related to OS protocols. For example, AWDL in El Capitan makes the WiFi connection instantiation slower than Mavericks or lower version of OS X, on the same hardware.

3. This does not necessarily imply the situation is perfect. OS X seems to exhibit fewer such issues than Windows on a Mac. Windows on a PC also seems to be different. One option to test would be to run in Windows Safe Mode with Networking and see if changes the behavior.

Jan 29, 2016 5:09 AM in response to Loner T

1. Resume after Sleep (S3 resume) duplicates device instance for Broadcom 802.11ac adapter in Device Manager when I close then open the lid. Resume after Hibernate works fine as I have already described above. But I need Sleep mode working perfect to save SSD resource.

2. jdoupe wrote: "I have an MBP (Retina, 15", early 2013), now with 10.10.4, and I still experience this issue (slow wifi after waking from sleep - wifi speed is fine after full shutdown / re-start)."

Probably after walking from sleep both identical duplicated device instances were initialized simultaneously (main and phantom) that resulted in traffic interference and speed reduce. Could you tell me the exact model name and firmware version for Wi-Fi Airport Card of:MBP Retina, 15" early 2013 and MBP Retina 15" mid 2014 (A1398)?

3. Common speaking about everything is speaking about nothing. So I have provided exact explanation with 100% reproducible test, and pictures. I just need certain solution for certain hardware problem from Apple. By the way, I have one more laptop from Toshiba with Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi adapter that works fine after Sleep (S3 resume) without device duplication in Windows 10. Probably the problem is not in Windows, but in wireless adapter firmware, isn't it?

Jan 29, 2016 7:48 AM in response to softhive

softhive wrote:

1. Resume after Sleep (S3 resume) duplicates device instance for Broadcom 802.11ac adapter in Device Manager when I close then open the lid. Resume after Hibernate works fine as I have already described above. But I need Sleep mode working perfect to save SSD resource.

As a test, delete both instances of the adapter after you come out of sleep, scan for hardware changes, and check if you get only one instance and whether it work properly. What SSD resource are you trying to 'save' in Sleep mode?

2. jdoupe wrote: "I have an MBP (Retina, 15", early 2013), now with 10.10.4, and I still experience this issue (slow wifi after waking from sleep - wifi speed is fine after full shutdown / re-start)."

Probably after walking from sleep both identical duplicated device instances were initialized simultaneously (main and phantom) that resulted in traffic interference and speed reduce. Could you tell me the exact model name and firmware version for Wi-Fi Airport Card of:MBP Retina, 15" early 2013 and MBP Retina 15" mid 2014 (A1398)?

There is a single physical device, even if there are two instances of the adapter/driver. It is unlikely that the new instance created has credential information for the same wireless access points as the phantom. This can be confirmed by attempting a connection which should result in a failure from the new instance. The only case it may work is if you connect to open SSIDs without any security/keys. I have a 2013 15-in rMBP and a 13-in 2012 MBP. Are you looking for my information?

3. Common speaking about everything is speaking about nothing. So I have provided exact explanation with 100% reproducible test, and pictures. I just need certain solution for certain hardware problem from Apple. By the way, I have one more laptop from Toshiba with Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi adapter that works fine after Sleep (S3 resume) without device duplication in Windows 10. Probably the problem is not in Windows, but in wireless adapter firmware, isn't it?

Is the W10 installation on Toshiba using BIOS or UEFI? Atheros and Broadcom are not the same. I have seen sleep work on many PCs without any issues, and it works on OS X side, without any issues. EFI issues would cause a failure overtime, but that is not the case either. It is the interaction between the S3 Resume and the Windows Kernel. The only real solution is to debug the driver and kernel, and find out why this interaction creates a second instance. On my 2012 MBP, I do not see this behavior under W8.1.

Jan 31, 2016 3:24 AM in response to Loner T

"As a test, delete both instances of the adapter after you come out of sleep, scan for hardware changes, and check if you get only one instance and whether it work properly. What SSD resource are you trying to 'save' in Sleep mode?"

I did that and got duplicated device instance after reboot/poweron, so it's not a solution. It looks like after Sleep mode device initialized differently then after reboot or power on (firmware bug). On Hibernate mode the SSD writes whole 16Gb DRAM data each time that reduces its write cycles resource significantly.

"There is a single physical device, even if there are two instances of the adapter/driver. It is unlikely that the new instance created has credential information for the same wireless access points as the phantom. This can be confirmed by attempting a connection which should result in a failure from the new instance. The only case it may work is if you connect to open SSIDs without any security/keys. I have a 2013 15-in rMBP and a 13-in 2012 MBP. Are you looking for my information?"

As the jdoupe wrote, the problem occures after Sleep mode and disappears after Reboot/Poweron that points to the same behavior as I detected in my case. I'd like to test the same Broadcom wireless adapter in Toshiba laptop to get confirmed evidences of firmware bug, so I need the exact model name and firmware version for Wi-Fi Airport Card of:MBP Retina, 15" early 2013 and MBP Retina 15" mid 2014 (A1398).

"Is the W10 installation on Toshiba using BIOS or UEFI? Atheros and Broadcom are not the same. I have seen sleep work on many PCs without any issues, and it works on OS X side, without any issues. EFI issues would cause a failure overtime, but that is not the case either. It is the interaction between the S3 Resume and the Windows Kernel. The only real solution is to debug the driver and kernel, and find out why this interaction creates a second instance. On my 2012 MBP, I do not see this behavior under W8.1."

Who is responsible for development and bugs of the Apple EFI, the Apple or a customer? In this case the Atheros and the Broadcom are both using the same PCIe interface. My model of Apple Airport adapter has a bug in firmware implementation, but yours probably hasn't. Who must provide corrected firmware update, the Apple or a customer?

Windows 10: BCM43xx S3 resume firmware initialization problem (MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.