Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my executable not run under bash ?

I've got a command line executable (compiled using nvcc and clang), which works fine when I run it from the command line.

This means it's executed from the tcsh (which is my interactive shell).

However, when I try to run the same executable from the bash , either a bash script or the interactive bash,

it fails with the error message

dyld: Symbol not found: _iconv

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/LanguageModeling.framework/Versions/A/Languag eModeling

Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib

in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/LanguageModeling.framework/Versions/A/Languag eModeling

But the library is there in /opt/local/lib.

Any hints what I can check will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Gabriel.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), iPhone 6S, always latest iOS

Posted on Jan 12, 2016 2:49 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2016 6:26 AM in response to Tony T1

Thanks a lot for your response!

Yes, this is my complete script

#!/bin/tcsh echo LD_LIBRARY_PATH echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./particles -n=30000

Actually, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not defined, when i run this script. This is very puzzling to me, too, because I thought that the executable (in this case the tcsh) inherits all environment variables from the parent. And when I do setenv in my interactive shell, I can clearly see LD_LIBRARY_PATH .

Jan 13, 2016 7:12 AM in response to GabrielZ

It seems like I actually need to define the environment variable in the script itself again. This works

#!/bin/bash

CUDA="/Developer/NVIDIA/CUDA-6.5"

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=":/usr/local/lib:/opt/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:${CUD A}/lib:${CUDA}/samples/common/lib/darwin"

./particles -n=30000

It is a mystery to me why the bash script does not inherit the value of DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH from its parent (in this case, my interactive shell).

Why does my executable not run under bash ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.