Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't search for contacts on iPad

I can't search for contacts on my iPad. When I enter a contact name in the search bar, I get zero results, even if I am looking at the contact name in the list as I type it. Search works fine on my iPhone, but not on my iPad with the same settings. I tried the suggestion about changing the settings under Groups, but that just hides or shows all my contacts, it does not change the search results.

iPad, iOS 9.2, 4th gen iPad

Posted on Jan 13, 2016 8:13 AM

5 replies

Jan 14, 2016 2:57 PM in response to kcottonjr

Hello there, kcottonjr.

It seems like you're just having issues searching for Contacts in Spotlight only on your iPad. One thing you may want to look at and verify that Contacts is set in your search setting by referring to the steps in the following Knowledge Base article:

Use Search on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Get Siri Suggestions

Siri Suggestions include apps and contacts that you might be interested in. You’ll also see suggestions for news, nearby places like restaurants, gas stations, retail stores, and more.

You can use Siri Suggestions with iPhone 5 and later, iPad Pro, iPad (4th generation) and later, iPad mini (2nd generation) and later, and iPod touch (6th generation).

User uploaded file

Change search settings

Go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search.

From here, you can turn Siri Suggestions on or off and choose which apps to include in your searches. For example, if you don’t want to see search results from your Messages app, you can deselect Messages.

If you don’t want Siri or Spotlight to suggest nearby locations, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Then tap System Services and turn off Safari & Spotlight Suggestions.

If the settings are correct, reviewing the initial recommendations in this article may be a good next step:

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Restart the app

Close the app and open it again.

Restart your device

Turn your device off and back on.

Check for iOS and app updates

Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Jan 15, 2016 7:47 AM in response to pedro d

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned in my original post, that Spotlight search is working properly and is the only way I can find a contact. My problem is when I try to search within the contact application itself, putting my search term in the box at the top of the contacts listing. I was getting a little frustrated because I had tried to post my question six or seven times before I figured out that I needed to select a category at the bottom of the post window before it would let me proceed. So the last time I typed it, I left out a few details.

Even if I type the exact words used for a contact and I am looking right at the contact in the list, when I type in the search term, I get no results. The only way I get any results is if I type a single letter and then I can pull up a couple of random results. These results will continue to appear as long as I type any letter present in the title of those contacts.

This problem has only begun recently. Before this, I was able to put a partial name in the contacts search box and return a list of contacts, including the one wanted. Also I got results from any part of the contact including the notes. I did not knowingly make any changes to settings, so I don't know why the search has stopped working. As I mentioned, the search works on my iPhone 6S just as it always did. I did a side by side comparison of the settings between the iPhone and iPad and they appear to be exactly the same. So I don't know why search does not work on the iPad. I tried restarting the iPad and did a reset, by holding down the button and power switches at the same time, but neither of those actions fixed the problem. I also tried changing the options under groups, but that just hide my contacts list.

Jan 15, 2016 2:10 PM in response to pedro d

I appreciate your suggestion, but now I have run into another problem. When I tried to register my iPad that I purchased used in order to use the support link you suggested, I got an error message that the iPad was associated with another Apple ID. Probably whoever had the iPad before me. But it did not give me any links I could follow to change the registration to me. So that support option is a dead end for me.

Jan 16, 2016 6:54 AM in response to kcottonjr

Hello again, kcottonjr.

I understand you weren't able to setup support through the link because the iPad is associated with another Apple ID. The following link provides contact phone numbers to reach out to support specific to whatever region of the world you may be:

Contact Apple for support and service

If you're in the United States or Canada:

The United States and Canada

User uploaded file
United States
1-800-275-2273

iPhone
1-800-MY-IPHONE
(1-800-694-7466)

Education customers
Support: 1-800-800-2775
Sales: 1-800-780-5009

Enterprise
1-866-752-7753

Hearing or vision impaired
1-877-204-3930

User uploaded file
Canada
English: 1-800-263-3394
French: 1-800-263-3394

Regards.

Can't search for contacts on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.