Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to activate bonjour in windows 10

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and have received an error message that

"The Bonjour service has been disabled. Bonjour is required for sharing music with others, playing music... Re-enable the service in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services."

Since Windows 10 does not have this aforementioned menu structure, I'm at a loss how to proceed...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Parallels Desktop

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Glad it helped.

By the way, I found a location to download the Windows 64 bit installer package for Bonjour. I found an older version of Bonjour but it didn't fix the issue. The following post by 007me has a more current version of the separate installer: Re: WIndows 7 64-bit bonjour service fail to start. Tried solutions, never work. Once I installed the 64 bit version, all was copasetic.

I'm not a programmer or developer but the separate iterations of background processes is sometimes intentional in order to have different apps/processes run in separate threads or memory (most common example is Chrome ... keeps windows/sites running in the background) ... others like Service Hosts are network related, etc. Since some are crucial to system/network operations, they auto-start and are driven by the OS so can't be "ended" unless via safe mode or manually disabled/uninstalled.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2016 1:41 PM in response to gruberg

Glad it helped.

By the way, I found a location to download the Windows 64 bit installer package for Bonjour. I found an older version of Bonjour but it didn't fix the issue. The following post by 007me has a more current version of the separate installer: Re: WIndows 7 64-bit bonjour service fail to start. Tried solutions, never work. Once I installed the 64 bit version, all was copasetic.

I'm not a programmer or developer but the separate iterations of background processes is sometimes intentional in order to have different apps/processes run in separate threads or memory (most common example is Chrome ... keeps windows/sites running in the background) ... others like Service Hosts are network related, etc. Since some are crucial to system/network operations, they auto-start and are driven by the OS so can't be "ended" unless via safe mode or manually disabled/uninstalled.

Jan 17, 2016 7:06 PM in response to gruberg

Bonjour Print Service does work with Windows 10.

For a time, I couldn't get Bonjour Print Services to run in my new ASUS Windows 10 PC. Guys at the Microsoft store told me to install the latest iTunes for Windows, but that didn't do anything. I could see the mDNSResponder.exe in the Programs File/Bonjour directory, and a mdnsNSP.dll and dns_sd.jar, but no Bonjour Printer Wizard.

So I went to Apple's Bonjour Support page and downloaded the latest Bonjour (v 2.0.2.0, file created 5/18/2010). I chose Run in the download dialog. After Running the install program, I found a new directory, Bonjour Print Services. Inside that directory is the PrinterWizard.exe. I double clicked that and the Printer Wizard did its thing, finding my ancient HP Hewlett-Packard Laser Jet 1012 printer. The Wizard tried to find a print driver, but none of the drivers came close. I finished up the Wizard as best I could. I then went to Windows' Settings/Devices/Printers and found a new entry for "Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1012." I clicked on its properties and allowed Microsoft to find a driver, choosing the LaserJet 1015. Eventually Bonjour got the message and I was able to print on the HP LaserJet 1012 connected to my AirPort Express's usb port. When you look at the Properties of the printer installed with the Bonjour it should show you your Apple AirPort's mac (media access protocol, not "macintosh') address.

Jan 23, 2016 4:10 AM in response to WD4D

Many thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. Interestingly, the task manager showed that Bonjour was already active, but I restarted it anyway for good measure and I haven't had any error messages since.

Incidentally, would you happen to know why some of the "background processes" seem to be running several times (as per the task manager)? Moreover, when I tried to "end task" for some of the redundant processes, it didn't seem to have any effect...

If you don't, no worries. At least Bonjour seems to be working now!

how to activate bonjour in windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.