Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

s/mime and oppenssl

Hi,

I created a p12 certificate with oppenssl to use with s/mime. It works on a mac, with thunderbird, but not on ios. I can install .p12 and .crt certificates, they appear in "profiles" but not in mail...

What should i do?

Best

fred

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 5:54 AM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2016 5:23 AM in response to cgtyoder

Hi,

have checked... doesn't work (although it does on mac or PC!)

# openssl genrsa -des3 -out ca.key 4096
# openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -key ca.key -out ca.crt
# openssl genrsa -des3 -out humble_coder.key 4096
# openssl req -new -key humble_coder.key -out humble_coder.csr
# openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in humble_coder.csr -CA ca.crt -CAkey ca.key \
-set_serial 1 -out humble_coder.crt -setalias "Humble Coder's E-Mail Certificate" \
-addtrust emailProtection \
-addreject clientAuth -addreject serverAuth -trustout
# openssl pkcs12 -export -in humble_coder.crt -inkey humble_coder.key \
-out humble_coder.p12

And I send p12 by email... 
Any idea?

May 29, 2016 4:19 AM in response to fred_o

Hi,

if it's still interesting for you:

It seems, that you have to remove your account settings for your email provider, restart the ios device and install the email configuration again (don't forget to activate s/mime for that account).

In my case, the following params to create a new key and csr file runs perfectly in mail for mac os and iPhone/iPad:

openssl genrsa -out myKeyName.key -des3 4096

openssl req -new -key myKeyName.key -out myCsrName.csr

Then send the csr to the CA (i.e. startssl) and copy the crt-file from the CA into the directory with your key. After that, you can create the p12-file:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in nameOfCrtFile.crt -inkey myKeyName.key -out myOutFile.p12

After that, you can double click the p12-file in mac os, so that you can sign mails with Mail and you can send the p12-file to yourself and open it with the ios device (see above: remove mail settings, restart ios device, reconfigure mail setting with s/mime).

Hope it helps

s/mime and oppenssl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.