Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which is the best website program

Which is the best website I can purchase, that is easy to upload changing item of stock

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 10:51 AM

16 replies

Jan 14, 2016 11:12 AM in response to LondonboyR

Do you mean a hosting site, or an app to create the site?

If a hosting site, one's just as easy as the other. You typically use an FTP client such as Transmit or Fetch to upload your web data to your site. The main consideration is the quality of the hosting site and how much you're willing to pay for (usually) a yearly fee. Most such sites also automatically renew your domain name each year as part of the cost so you don't lose it to vultures who try to snap up domains names who's payment has lapsed, and then try to sell it back to you, or anyone else who wants to pick up a recognized name.

I started to type in best web hosting services, and this was the first auto selected link. InMotionHosting just happens to be who I use and I have zero complaints about them in over a decade of use. Who's the best depends on the reviewer. Here's another listing. And a third just because.

For the latter guess (creating your site), I now use Adobe's Muse, which has quickly gotten a lot better. About as close as you can get to visually building a site without having to know much about HTML or CSS yourself. Dreamweaver, RapidWeaver are others. There are many here I've never heard of. Most of them use a lot of prebuilt templates to speed up the process of building your site. This is good for some types of sites, not much help for others. Another list for comparison.

Jan 16, 2016 10:07 AM in response to LondonboyR

There are a lot of reasons not to do that, and is why I use a hosting service.

1) You have to be in charge of all security. Do you have the time to devote to that?

2) Your site will only run as fast as your upload speed.

There are more things to weigh. Ask yourself if your time is worth more than the 5 to 10 bucks a month it costs to have someone else handle that stuff.

Jan 16, 2016 10:35 AM in response to LondonboyR

Be aware that many ISPs block port 80 unless you signup for a business account with them. A business account is also how you get a fixed IP address (although that is no necessary if you get a dynamic DNS name from a provider such as DynDNS.com or NoIP.com).

If you just want something that ONLY you and people you know are going to use, you can arrange for your router to port forward some other port number to your Mac's port 80. You would access your web pages using <http://your.dns.name:12345/subpage/path>. 12345 would be whatever port you tell your router to forward to your Mac's port 80. I do this for something only my wife and I know about.

<http://portforward.com/>

Get OS X server ($20 US). It includes a web server you can setup via the OS X Server GUI. There are even books written on using OS X Server. The web server is Apache, which is used on many platforms and chances are if you want to dig deeper into the details of the web server, Apache will have lots of books and Google hits.

Also Apache was the web server that OS X used in earlier released before they stopped including it in the consumer OS X releases and just including it in OS X server.

Jan 16, 2016 1:11 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Sorry. what I meant was, I do use a hosting service already, and am happy with them,

What I want is a program to make myself a fresh website that I can change the stock on when I sell it, and buy that program and not get into monthly charges or additional charges for the program.

And as my ability is limited, I wanted a program that was cut and paste rather than writing code.

Jan 17, 2016 3:28 AM in response to LondonboyR

I am not an expert in the field, but "website" can be complex subject. Languages include PHP, Java, Ruby, Groovy. You can interface with database a dozen ways with many types of data persistence. There a many different frameworks including Spring, Struts, Rails, Grails. With Graven being an enhancement of Maven for managing builds. And JavaScript with AngularJS extensions for database-AJAX enhancement to static page HTML, not to mention HTML5. Plus JavaServerPages and GroovyServerPages to integrate complex task support to pages.

Others can shout me down, but I do not think there is a single "website program" that can be selected without understanding the limitations of the products. Choose a product with too many limitations at the start and later conversion can be difficult.

Now the experts in this field can comment on my posting.

Jan 18, 2016 3:07 AM in response to LondonboyR

You've posted in the Snow Leopard forum - is this really what you are running? You may find it problematic finding software to run on it.

Kompozer is free but I can't find info on whether it runs on Snow Leopard - you would have to try. You need version 08b3 -this is a download link:

Download KompoZer 0.8b3 for Mac�OS�X (English)

RapidWeaver is paid for (one-off) and is a very flexible template-based program: however it requires Mavericks. You can build attractive sites very easily and add-ons enable you to extend to more complex functions.

I'm assuming that you simply want to list available stock and then update the site with changes as stock changes. If you are actually wanting to sell stock online that is a lot more difficult and you won't find it easy, or more likely even possible, with the sort of programs we've been discussing.

which is the best website program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.