Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 and the iPhone cant handle the cold climate!

My first iphone was the iPhone 5, IT was sensitive to cold climate, -5 degrees and it shut down.

it was a worthless phone, i cant understand how a phone manufacturer can set from 0 - 35 on a telephone.

A device that you have on you all day in diffrent temperatures.

I and many more think that a telephone should work, Yeah drain battery faster and the scenen go a bit slow, but

iphone it shuts down.

NO other phone from other brands shut down.

Why does the iphone feel the need to shut down?

Its 2016 and Apple cant make a phone that can handle cold weather?

I have the iPhone 6s plus now, it cant handle the cold. Worse phone then the 5.

If someone defends the iPhone take note that all iPhone users dont live in warm climates, and the iPhone 4 was not sensitive to cold.

So Apple, why?

Best regards

/Fredrik from Sweden

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Jan 14, 2016 1:17 PM

12 replies

Jan 14, 2016 11:05 PM in response to carl wolf

Im sorry but that is a really bad answere!

NO one in europe can use this phone at winter.

And no place where they sell it do they mention that it shuts down under 0 degrees.

Im pretty sure that all of europe has winters colder then 0 degrees.

I want to know why the phone cant cope with cold weather.

I can understand that a computer or a tablet can be in that range.

But a phone? No!

That is no one who can defend this 0-35 range!

Oh you live in miami? To hot!

Do you travel? Ski?

What if you travel to other climates of what you are used to and your car break down or you fall and need to call someone?

Apple, make a product for the world!

Do not limit the product, no one else does!

Jan 15, 2016 7:32 AM in response to FredrikM87

Samsung only rates theirs down to -4 degrees so it would have also shut down on you. Nokia is the same rating as Apple. HTC doesn't list their operating specs. (And Samsung no longer gives their specifications on current phone models).

Due to the glass on smartphones and how light and thin they are making them, they will have trouble with the cold. You can extend the operating environment by putting it in a Lifeproof, Otterbox or similar case.

0 - 35 has been the tested operating environment of the iPhone since the original model. And yet they have sold millions of iPhones in Europe and you see lots of them in Miami. You also see lots of them in Texas which gets hotter than Miami.

If you need to be out in temperatures that are below 0 either switch to a non-smartphone (they are far less susceptible to cold), put the phone in a protective and bulky case, or buy a ruggedized smartphone designed for use in cold weather.

If you want Apple to make such a phone tell them: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Jan 15, 2016 8:20 AM in response to FredrikM87

FredrikM87 wrote:

Im sorry but that is a really bad answere!

NO one in europe can use this phone at winter.

And no place where they sell it do they mention that it shuts down under 0 degrees.

Im pretty sure that all of europe has winters colder then 0 degrees.

That's one of the most absurd comments I've seen here in a long time. Seriously, not a single person is able to successfully use an iPhone in all of Europe in the winter? You truly believe that?!

I have relatives in Edmonton and friends in Winnipeg Canada who use iPhones all year long, and I guarantee you those cities get typically much colder than many cities in Europe (Edmonton will hit -40C or less at least a few times in any given winter, and I've been in Winnipeg with wind chills below -50C). People don't wander around waving their iPhones out in the open in sub-freezing temperatures - they carry them in an internal coat pocket or somewhere protected from the elements and pull them out when needed. Or they use hands free BT or headsets so the phone is not held openly in sub-freezing temperatures all the time.

Jan 15, 2016 8:38 AM in response to FredrikM87

You do realize through all of these rants that you are not talking to Apple. With your demands that Apple does this and that. This is a user to user support forum. As indicated earlier, the Apple specifications for the operation of the phone are publicly published, and you can research them before your purchase. No one goes into this blind unless they choose to. As another poster also pointed out, this operating range is rather standard for current smartphones.

If you want to let Apple know how you feel, as it doesn't let them know by ranting here and demanding things, go to their feedback page. http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate subject area.

Jan 15, 2016 9:10 AM in response to deggie

That doesn't surprise me.

They also make jackets for humans, and winters tires for cars, but at some point, no matter what we or our cars are wearing, it just is too cold and...we....just....can't....do....it.....Captain...we just don't have the power!

I'm imaging the limbo...how low can an iPhone go...apparently not as low as some would like it to.😐

Feb 7, 2016 5:09 PM in response to FredrikM87

I use my iPhone 5s when I run. It's in a case that leaves the screen exposed and slides into an armband. I noticed this the first time I ran in sub 20 degree weather. The running app stopped and the battery was almost done. Pretty annoying since I could no longer track the run or listen to music. When I got inside and the phone warmed up, I reset it and the battery level returned to where it was before it shut down and the phone worked normally. Used it to run today. The temperature was in the high forties but the same thing happened again. The battery showed 5 % even though it was at 78% when I began. This time, I slid the phone up my sleeve for about 5 minutes and was able to reset it. Battery now showed about 58% and the app and the phone worked again. I get that bitter cold shuts the phone down but in almost 50 degree weather? At least I found a workaround

2016 and the iPhone cant handle the cold climate!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.